Circle is janky

WendyK

Question

I'm a beginner, and I am making a circle. I am alternating two, then one (as the pattern told), but my circle is still flappy as if it's expanding too fast. Is there a better way? I need it to lay flat.

20191130_111903.jpg

Edited by WendyK
Added photo

4 answers to this question

It IS expanding too fast.  You need to start with 6 dc.  Then make 2dc in each of the 6 dc.  In the next row, increase by making 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc, then 2 dc in the third st.  Continue to increase each round by 6 evenly spaced dcs in each row.

Agree with what AvonLady said.  

You do need to make sure you don't "stack" the increases on top of each other from row to row.  that causes corners to form and your circle will look more like a hexagon.

Wendy, if you tell us what specific pattern you're using and where it is located, we may be able to offer you some further advice.  

here's a tutorial about circles in sc and other height stitches https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-crochet-a-circle-4051535

As a doily-head I'm often tweaking circles.  Everybody has their own stitch-height gauge, and mine is on the short side compared to the average designer; when you make short stitches, you end up with too much circumference with too little diameter and get ruffling, so your piece looks familiar.

The recipe of stitches per round for a flat circle is:  SC=6, DC=12.  These are the numbers that you start with in the first round, and increase by in each subsequent round.  HDC is 8 or 9.

The cure for too-great circumference for the diameter (ruffling) is to either increase the diameter (make taller stitches) or decrease circumference by taking some of the stitches out.  

If your piece is supposed to continue to get bigger, you can 'cure' this by making making rounds with no increases until it flattens out (I bet 2 or 3 rounds tops will fix this), and you may every so often have to throw in a no-increase round after this if you see a ruffle starting again.  If this were a cotton doily that stopped at this point, I'd say don't worry, it will block out; but if this piece is supposed to stop here, I'd say rip back a few rounds and then work without increasing to fix it.

Edited by Granny Square

I agree  with  those "recipes" when it come to making flat circle. You just can NOT start a circle with 6dc and expect to work out right. Even that recipe will get you only so far (few rows) than you will need to "tweak" that. You will need to figure it out on your own when & how much,  to start "tweaking". That will depend what your project will need to be done to look  nice & flat.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl