Sign in to follow this  
Tech

Multi colored magic ring??

Question

I’m trying to make a pattern that has a multicolor design (it’s a leopard gecko with a yellow top and a white belly) and instructions say to make a magic ring of 6 with 3 white stitches and two yellows. How on earth do I do this??? I can’t find any tutorial on how to make a two colored magic ring let alone make a round that the colors swap so frequently to maintain the solid colored underbelly look... does anyone have advice??? 

2 answers to this question

The magic ring will be completely covered by the stitches so it really doesn't matter what color it is.

for the first round, change colors the way you normally would.  I assume the two colors will continue in the subsequent rounds so you'll probably carry them into the next rounds.  I would look at some amigurumi references for suggestions on handling the colors.  June Gilbank's site is good, it's called planetjune.  

Agree with Magiccrochetfan.  "Make a magic ring of 6 with 3 white stitches and two yellows" is  actually 2 separate rounds:  (1) make magic ring (2) make 3 white stitches and 2 yellow stitches around the ring.

I'm guessing you are new to crochet?  I've learned to follow a pattern as written (for a short while at least) when I come to a point where it sounds weird.  Usually it's a typo and sometimes following what it says for a bit 'shows' me what the typo should have said (granted this might not be as obvious to a newbie than to someone who has crocheted a long time).  Occasionally it's a 'well that was a cool way to do x' moment.  Another thing that helps when you are stuck, if there is a photo of the finished object with your pattern, find where your hook is in that object, look closely at the stitches in the photo--they can answer a lot of questions.  A good pattern, especially of a toy, will tell you where you are in the pattern (head, body, etc.), so if you are supposed to be working on the head and it looks more like a tail, you know there's a problem....

As far as color changes, why not?  Go look for a pattern for a peppermint candy (the round flat kind), I'll bet it alternates colors every stitch of the first round, every 2 stitches of the second round, and so on.  Almost nothing is impossible in crochet, just some things you don't run into as often.  I can think of about a half dozen variations of a single crochet stitch for example.