General info wanted

Bertaberta

Been searching and reading about T' crochet and various stitches but cannot find specific Q&As like: which kind of hook do I need for what types of patterns. ( I want to make a real bulky tight stitch cardigan that functions comparably to the thickness of a good winter coat. )  I see in videos that there are different types of hooks but no one says which for what.

What kind of weather are you needing to defend against with this 'good winter coat'?    If you live somewhere where winter is mostly below freezing, you are not going to get a 'good winter coat' with just a bulky yarn sweater.  Maybe an indoor cardigan if you keep your indoor temperatures low (as in, I'm now wearing a pullover sweater and a cardigan over over my shoulders, inside the house - so 2 layers of aran/ 'medium' weight yarn garments...and it's 68°F in here).  

Here is the specs for the US yarn weight system https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system   The hook sizes suggested are just that - a suggestion of a range of hooks that work for most people, and average patterns, for the yarn weight.  A lot depends on the fabric you are going for, and your own personal stitch gauge.  And if you are following a pattern, you really need to hit the pattern's stitch gauge, or it's not going to fit you.  

I just noticed you posted this in the Tunisian section, so now parts of your post that I over looked now makes sense.  

As far as I know, there are 2 types of Tunisian hooks; those with extra long handles, and those with a cable attached with a stopper at the end.  Both are 'the same' functionally, but the cabled ones allow larger projects (or, are easier on the wrists for smaller projects than the heavier solid hooks).  Tunisian crochet is 'sort of' like knitting, in that you have the whole row live stitches on your hook, but unlike knitting you 'cast them on' to the needle, and then 'bind them off of the needle every row (which is why you need a long hook unless you are making anything bigger than a couple of inches).

You can use a 'regular' crochet hook for Tunisian entrelac, because the rows are usually 6 stitches or so which you can fit onto a regular needle.

(sigh)  Ha, we pushed the button at exactly the same time this time Magic!  :hi 

To the OP - for something like a garment, I'd think you'd have to use a cabled hook because of the size of the pieces.

Edited by Granny Square

• 1 year later...

You might get specific responses that are more useful if we knew what pattern you were considering.

I worked a t-shirt in tunisian, but the construction was 9-inch tunisian squares and I found that I was more comfortable using a regular hook that was pretty long. 

If you're working an afghan with like 200 stitches on it, you might want to look at a cabled hook set -- I had a couple of Boye ones that I hated.  The lack of a thumb rest made it difficult to twist the hook and I developed wrist pain. 

I think KnitPicks makes a set that a lot of crocheters like. 

• 2 years later...

General suggestions about Tuniisian Crochet hooks:

- It's a myth that you need a bigger sized hook than your yarn calls to avoid curling; because of its construction, Tunisian crochet is going to curl no matter how big the hook. Bigger hooks are usually used to achieve a better drape on whatever you are stitching, if it does not call for drape use the hook the pattern calls for or at most one a size bigger.

- Double headed hooks are used to do Tunisian crochet in the round. Be careful when you buy them and make sure both sides are the same size, more often than not you'll end buying double headed crochet hooks with different sizes on each end if you're not careful and double check.

- Interchangeable hooks, although expensive, are a good investment if you plan on working Tunisian crochet often. If not, you can buy the hooks separately and use the cables of your interchangeable knitting needles if you have some and in the event you don't knit, you can easily purchase cabled hooks online (Amazon or AliExpress).

On 1/24/2021 at 4:14 AM, MaryPat said:

I think KnitPicks makes a set that a lot of crocheters like. 

I have the KnitPro Ginger set and I love them, they are expensive but a great investment if you are like me and do a lot of TC. They glide easily and the head is pointy so picking the stitches works really fast.