Help with pattern/stitch please!

Judyk

Question

I have a crocheted spread that was given to me by my ex mother-in-law who has now passed. Her mother made it I guess in the early 1900's. I would love to know the pattern and stitches she used as it is gorgeous.

Thanks in advance!

Judy

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

2 answers to this question

Hi Judy, what a lovely heirloom!  I'm going to use US stitch terms.  A lot of the blanket is in DC.

The areas where there is a square with radiating open 'slits' is called a spider pattern/motif; it's made by making long chains from the solid sides of the spider, then SC in the chains in an ever widening number to the center, then in each row adding more and more SCs across the center of the chains to the widest point and then fewer to narrow it down again (it sounds complicated, but it's really easy)

The bumpy 'balls' look like popcorn stitches; basically many DC stitches made into 1, and then the first and last stitch of that group are joined in the top to make it stand out.

The gaps that form a  square around the center motif, are made by chaining a small number (2 I think on the square part) and then skipping that number of stitches (example DC, chain 2, skip 2, DC...).  The gaps forming the X are done similar to the corners of a Granny Square.

I should have said earlier, this is made from the center out, like a granny square but not the granny format of groups of 3 DCs.

Outside of the square, the "X" stitch shapes are made by front post stitches, one row like \/, then the next like /\.

The edge is made like the center square 'gaps', and then another row is similar but more chains between DCs.

I don't recognize the pattern exactly, but there are a lot of vintage patterns out there for bedspreads (that probably called for doily cotton, not thicker yarn that this looks to be).  Here is a link to a LOT of vintage crochet patterns, warning you may get lost here for days.  This is a list of books (mostly, some individual patterns), in order by...hmm, sort of by author...if you do a search on 'bedspread' it will keep you busy for a long time!

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you so very much! I am now immersed in the link you gave me and learning so much! I am 72 and my spinster Great Aunt was a master tatter and crocheter. I have a tablecloth she created and a few pillowcases with her tatted edgings...I treasure them. I also regret not learning how to crochet when she offered to teach me..I was to young to appreciate the craft sadly.

This spread really holds no sentimental value for me although I appreciate the time and love that it took to make it. I would love to find someone who can repair the small places where the stitching has come loose so that someone can enjoy it.

Thank you again..

Judy