How to make this granny shawl

charatki2

Question

Hi everyone,

Wondering if you could help! My mother in law has requested this shawl made for her for Christmas. She took this photo of someone wearing one in a cafe and she liked the look of it. I can easily figure out how to make the colourful circles, but I just don't know how to do the joins and make it into a triangle shawl shape? Anyone know of any patterns for this I could follow, or could give me any instructions??

shawl.jpg.4891df94c4a84d363ff8b9b81496fb51.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Well, you figured out the hard part!  (too bad your mom didn't ask tap the other lady on the shoulder and compliment her on her shawl and ask if she'd make it or knew the pattern name)

Look at the circles, each is surrounded by white VV at the bottom, /\/\ at the top, and << or >> (and other slants on the sides - total of 12).  Those are loops made up of some number of chains (you'll have to do some experimenting on that part).

For the general recipe below, I'm going to say each chain loop = 9 chains, this may be totally wrong, but just to illustrate.  (should be an odd number)

Make 2 colored circles, with the outside ring of stitches divisible by 12, and with white make some chain loops - connect white yarn to the circle, *chain 9, skip x stitches, sc in the next stitch, repeat until the last sc would be in the first sc, finish off. 

Then take the next circle (circle 2), start the next white edging the same way but chain 4 after connecting the white.  Slip stitch or SC (whichever you think looks better) into the 5th chain of one of the chain loops of circle 1--now heading back to circle 1, chain 4, skip x on circle 1, and sc into the next stitch.  You've made the first connection of 2 circles, looks like this )><( where the ( and ) are part of the circles and > and < are the loops (one from each circle), connected in the middle.  Do this one more time, then finish the loops around  circle 2 without connecting them to anything (yet).  With only 2 circles so far in the configuration of this shawl, you can only connect 1 side, which is 2 loops.  Actually, think of these as hexagons, with 2 connection points on each of the 6 'sides'.

If you have never done 'join as you go' you might take a look at some videos, it is really easy but will probably make more sense once you see it done versus my description.

I would sketch this out.  I'd also probably start at the point (center bottom) and work up, because notice it's not in straight 'rows', the  circles are like half a row up and offset.  If you do start at the bottom, the 2 connected circles would be the bottom tip and the other would be in the next 'half row offset' up from that.

What does your mom think of this pattern?  Kinda sorta close, and free...

https://atty-s.com/2015/06/catona-flower-shawl-pattern-tutorial.html

or this one, less similar but might be easier (squares, not offset)

https://www.abc-knitting-patterns.com/1490.html

Edited by Granny Square