Please help!

ColleenB

Question

Can anyone please help me understand this pattern. I’ve tried looking it up, but can’t find it.

Rnd 5 – (2sc, inc) repeat around [24]
Rnd 6 – (3sc, inc) repeat around [30]
Rnd 7 – (4sc, inc) repeat around [36]

Thank you so much for any help!!

4 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!

This pattern is written in a sort of 'shorthand'.  It looks like you are working int a circle, from the center out, maybe making a hat or toy?

When you make a circle, you start with a number of stitches in a ring, and add that number to every subsequent round.  For SC, that number is usually 6.

Round 1 was probably: make a ring of some sort

Round 2 was probably: work 6 sc in a ring [6].  Total of 6 stitches - that's what the number in brackets is, the # of stitches you should have in that round at the end (sort of a sanity check)

Round 3 was probably: sc in first stitch, increase in next, repeat around [12]

Round 4 was probably: sc in next 2 stitches, increase in next, repeat around [18]

See the pattern?  The first round is 6, next round doubles it to 12 (increasing in every stitch), then each round adds 1 non-increase stitch between increases; in other words, for sc there are always 6 stitches in each round, but they get spaced farther and farther apart.

Thank you!  This is the free pattern that I found online: http://www.littlemuggles.com/free-patterns/baby-owl-free-pattern/

I am in fact trying to make an animal!  I’m trying to teach myself and even did a free course on Amigurumi, but I still feel a little lost. 

I seem to be ok thru Round 4 (I think) but become confused after that. 

Edited by ColleenB

What a cute little owl! 🦉

Normal crochet pattern 'grammar' is, if a pattern says something like - "x sc, increase" it means "make 1 sc into each of the next x stitches, increase into the following stitch".  An 'increase' is most typically an increase by 1, by putting 2 stitches into 1 stitch; if it is different (a greater increase), it should specifically say "(a specific number) of stitches into the next stitch".

When I'm working something in the round like this, if the instruction is "3, sc, increase", I count as I go -- "1, 2, 3, in-crease" for example, where the first 3 stitches are 1 stitch into 1 stitch, and in the forth stitch "in" is the first stitch of the increase, and "crease" is the second stitch of the increase.  Sort of silly, but it works.

I assume you are starting either at the top of his head, or at the bottom.  At some point the increase 'pattern' is going to stop or slow down for a while as you form his body and head, there may be no increases for a while.

Tip: mark the first stitch of each row with a stitch marker (I like bobby pins as they don't snag, safety pins work, some like to use a short length of yarn) so you don't lose your place.  Also, I use paper patterns so either tick off each finished pattern line use a sticky or a 'sticky flag' to mark my place so I know where I left off; not sure what the equivalent would working from a device.

Awesome!  Thank you so much!  It is such a cute little owl. Thought it would be fun as my first try at Amigurumi. This now makes so much sense!  With your explaining and advice, I found the problem. I was reading it as (2 sc increase) not (2 sc, increase). I guess the commas are important! Thank you again!