Christmas yarn

Songperson

Hi Songperson---I like your user name 🙂      Welcome to the Ville :hook

It will help if you could tell us more---do you want a yarn that is a combination of red and green within one yarn?  Or some red yarn and some green yarn?   Or red and white, or...?   

Do you want acrylic for easy care, or a natural fiber?    Do you want to order online or shop in person, and in what country are you located (since some companies don't ship to all countries, and brick-and-mortar stores are regional) ?  

Welcome to the 'ville!

I don't have any suggestions for a specific bulky brand for you, but you might consider making something with 2 strands held together of US#4 (medium) weight held together.  (Aran, worsted, 10ply if you are in the UK)

I've noticed a lot of beginners gravitate to bulky yarn, I'm guessing because it takes fewer stitches to make an x-sized thing so it goes faster.  However it's also more expensive per yard, if you look at a skein of bulky versus medium weight it's got a lot less yardage, and the bulky skeins are usually more expensive.

Example, using Joann's website pricing and a bargain brand Red Heart - RH 'super saver' #4 weight is $3.69 regular price ($2.95 on sale right now) for solid colors and 364 yards per skein.  Red Heart Super Saver Chunky #5 weight yarn is 5.49 regular price ($4.39 on sale right now) and is 168 yards per skein.

So  (using regular price):

1 yard of #4 medium is  $3.69/364 yards = $.01 per yard.

1 yard of #5 chunky is  $5.49/168 yards = $.033 per yard.

So I'm not sure if 2 strands of #4 medium exactly equals chunky (I'm thinking it might be somewhat thicker), but in any event it's cheaper to use 2 strands of the thinner yarn.

This might not work with every brand and every seller, but if nothing else you are certain to find the colors you want in medium weight yarn.

Hi GrannySquare!  :waving   It adds an extra element of interest to posting---wondering if I am posting at the exact same time as you, or a second before or after!  :h5

I LOVE your suggestion of holding two strands together and if you do that with 2 colors, you can get some really interesting marled effects, and really control the colors, to do color "fades".   Song person, I will try to come back with some pics of colors done this way.    Or you could do 3 strands of a light dk maybe.....oh the possibilities!  :ctree

edit to add:  here is a quick example of combining colors https://www.yarnspirations.com/ombre-yarn-guide-how-to-create-an-ombre.html  scroll down to where it says Two strands and Four strands.  they only show a row or 2 of each combination.  This shows more rows of each color combo but is knit, not crochet https://www.10rowsaday.com/gradient    I should clarify, you don't have to use this technique only to create gradients, you could make the whole item out of the same combination.

And to add to what GrannySquare said about creating a heavier weight yarn by combining two strands, here is a  cheat sheet for that:   2 fingering---sport or dk 
1 fingering + 1 sport/dk----worsted/aran 
2 sport/dk----heavy worsted/aran 
1 worsted/aran + 1 fingering----heavy worsted/aran 
1 worsted/aran + 1 sport/dk-----bulky/chunky 
2 worsted/aran----extra bulky/ extra chunky

Edited by magiccrochetfan

18 hours ago, ChloeP said:

I love the Bernat Blanket Yarn.  It’s a chenille, and makes a very cozy blanket.  

I love that yarn too :)

That yarn washes very well too (cool water).

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl