Baby booties pattern help

HeatherDalgarno

Question

I'm struggling with King Cole pattern 4492, boys crossover strap shoes, on the upper part.

I've finished making the sole of the shoe, the first round of the upper (6th) is to slip stitch all around. Then for the next round (7th)it says:

"Working in both lps of 5th rnd (last dc rnd, under ss rnd  just made) work 1dc in each st around"

I have no idea what this means! Can anyone help? I understand what the code means, but not how to locate the loops of a previous round in the work. Can anyone share a picture? I'm guessing that somehow this is the round that "turns the corner" so that the upper forms at right angles to the sole but I can't for the life of me see how! 

Any help would be very gratefully received!

15732476263192016400941166595086.jpg

Edited by HeatherDalgarno
To add picture and correct spelling

3 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!  

A little preamble before I get to your question.

Just under the bootie I can see the instructions saying 'htr tog in blo'.  BLO=back loop only, FLO=front loop only.  When you make a stitch of any sort, the top of the stitch sort of looks like a chain, or stacked Vs.  <<<<  Normally you make stitches by inserting the hook under the whole V, in other words both loops.  But, sometimes patterns will have you work in only 1 loop, usually the back loop, for a special effect.  One effect produced is when you work into the back loop only, it leaves the front loop unused, like dashes ---- or a ridge across the fabric.  These dashes can be left alone as decoration, or can be used in a later row as a place to put a stitch into, or helps a horizontal line 'fold' nicely, say in a transition between the sole and the side of a shoe.

The half of the stitch top ">" away from you is the back loop, the one nearest you is the front loop.  So in the photo, I'm assuming this was made same-side-facing at this point, and am not seeing anything that looks like a line of dashes ---- that would have been formed if you worked a prior round in the back loop, leaving the front loop free.

I found a site with pictures that shows what working in the back loop looks like.  You can see what they call 'front loop ridges' (what I'm calling 'dashes') in the third photo.

Preamble over. 

Like you, I am also not clear, working on round 7, how you can work into BOTH loops of round 5.  If round 5 had been worked BLO (or FLO) it would have made perfect sense to say to work into the free loop of round 5 to turn the corner.  Or, if row 5 was worked FLO (so back loop was unused, and not visible in your photo), I could see the pattern telling you to work into the back loop of the slip stitch row and the free loop of round 5--this would nicely turn the corner, and maybe more sturdily as you are using 2 loops to do it.

Granny is it possible that for row 7 it is wanting you to go back and work thru both loops of row 5 and encasing the slip stitches of row 6?  I am in the middle of moving and have no hooks or yarn handy to even give it a try.  

Ohhhh, I had a 'crocheting in my head' fail earlier. 

I was focused on 'there's no free loops in row 5', but no reason you couldn't use the same 2 loops that row 6 did.  Which is exactly what it said to do. duh.

I just tried a tiny sample (a dozen foundation chains, 2 rows of sc, 1 row of slst; slst-ing into the scs makes a sort of gap under the top 2 loops of the SC, so would be easy to see where you needed to put the hook on the following round to encase the slst row as you described.

Then the next row of sc into the gap, encasing the slip stitch, DOES make the first row of sc want to fold.  And it's sturdier at the turning, which I guess is a good think for a slipper.  Clever!   

Good luck with your move, may nothing break or get lost in transit.  Something to look forward to, maybe -- last time I moved, with all the packing, lifting, unpacking, putting away, I lost a few pounds!