Sign in to follow this  
Sydney12345

Need help interpreting pattern!

Question

Hi I just started crocheting yesterday and I'm very confused about what this pattern is trying to tell me! I'm trying to make a hat and I've already done the magic ring with 12 stitches, but the next step is "*1 increase, 2 sts* repeat from * to * = 16 sts". What does that mean?? I know how to increase a stitch but I don't understand how many times or what the 16 means! Please help!

9 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville and to crochet!

Some patterns (especially those that are on blogs, or not 'tech edited') use poor wording or 'shorthand' that is sometimes decipherable to the more experienced crocheter, but not always for a beginner.  

First, hooray for you as a beginner for mastering the magic/adjustable ring, that confuses a lot of people.  (There are other simpler ways to start the center of a circle that you are likely to find on older patterns).

In general, not just hats, many patterns give you a 'sanity check' stitch count at the end of a row or round, so you can double check you didn't miss something.  "do blah blah, repeat blah, 16 stitches" just means that after all the blah-ing is done, the # of stitches should be 16.

Crochet hats typically start from a point at the center top and work down to the brim.  So your first round was 12, your second round will end up with 16 (which is unusual, this is going to end up being a pointy hat*).  The pattern says, with my underlined clarification of what it DIDN'T say, but meant: "*1 increase in the first stitch, 1 stitch in each of the next 2 sts* repeat from * to * = 16 sts".  So for each 3 stitches from the original 12, you will be adding 1 stitch, meaning you are adding 4 stitches total for the round, 12+4 =16 which is what you are supposed to end up with.

*The reason I'm guessing "pointy hat"; normally hats start with a number in the first round (12 for example), and then each round increases by 12 (round 2=24, round 3=36, round 4=48 total etc) until a certain diameter is reached, then you work for a distance to the brim without increasing.  If it continues to increase only by 4, it's going to be a toboggan/elf style hat.  

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  

Please post a link to the pattern if it's free online, or if it's in a book etc tell us the pattern name and publication title ( this way we can look at the pattern with you).  

The easiest part of your question to answer is the last part:  = "16  sts"  means at the end of this round you will have 16 stitches.   So this tells you that you're adding 4 sts in this round.  

So you need to increase in every third st in order to add four to twelve.  I personally hate the style this pattern is written in, it is a kind of shorthand that I think causes confusion.  But what it means is to make an increase, that is place two stitches in the next stitch.  Then where is says 2 sts that means to make one st in each of the next two sts.  

Do you have 48 stitches around?  

Does the pattern give a gauge, the number of stitches per inch?  Did you match the gauge?  

How big is it supposed to be?  In other words, it's a LOT small for an adult but maybe only a little small for a baby.

Observation - it looks like you may have worked into the back loop only of each stitch, which is not wrong, it just gives a different appearance.  Would not affect size.

Did the pattern give a gauge swatch?  Like, x stitches and y rows = 4" square.  Everybody has a different gauge with the same yarn and hook.  

(I see you're at it again, Magiccrochetfan--  :hi )

It says "9 sts and 11 rows = 4x4".  It's supposed to be an adult hat 😂 I was going to give it to my mom. Is there any way I can fix it without unravelling the whole thing? And how do I even know how many stitches I put in an inch?

Based on the 'look' of your yarn and hook in the photo I am going to guess your yarn may be US #4 (medium weight).  According to the US standards, that weight of yarn would, in SC, span 4" in 11-14 stitches using a US I to K size hook (5.5-6.5mm) as an average.  Let's say that matched your pattern designer's gauge.

I stitch would be .286" to .364" wide per the above guide.  .286" x 48 stitches =13.7" around, .364" x 48 stitches would be 17.5"

Sydney, you just replied as I typed the above, which answered part of your question.  I'll start another post to finish so you can see this.

Bad news, sorry you are going to have to rip it out, and I suggest finding another pattern because the increase formula does not make any sense.

Here is a site that gives head sizes for various ages http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

Here is a page that explains working in the round, and then using that info to make a hat.  It's more of a recipe than a pattern, but it explains how you can make a hat from scratch if you know the measurements of the recipient with a little geometry, pi x diameter = circumference, so you start with a flat circle of a certain diameter, then continue without increasing to the length you want -- ta da, hat made.  Example my head is 22" around, divided by pi (3.17) is pretty much exactly 7", so I work a 7" circle and work even for about 7.5-8" for the length if I'm not turning it up for a brim.  (YMMV on the length, I have bangs which I don't like completely smashed, and my winters aren't too cold, so this doesn't completelycover my ears)

Around the middle of the 'working in the round' section above, it gives a list of numbers to start with and increase by in each round.  sc = 6, hdc = 8, dc = 12.  That's the key, and why I knew your hat pattern was 'off' because it wasn't increasing enough.

edited to fix typo

Edited by Granny Square