Need help with a pattern!

akrre

Question

Hi there! I'm making a sweater based on this pattern (http://www.fiorelila.com/valentina-top-sweater/). I've gotten all the way to the lace sleeves and for the LIFE of me can't get past round 28.  I've pasted the pattern below here. Row 27 works out fine (total of 40 stitches). However when I work round 28 I get very confused. I'm not sure if when it says to make 3 dc tog + 2 ch in the next 5 sts if it means three dc2tog (+2ch for each) or is it one dc3tog (+2ch for each). Or it could mean anything, I just can't figure it out. If I do the one dc3tog plus the 2 ch it covers the 5 stitches but I can't make the count work. It's supposed to be a bell sleeve but that decreases the stitches almost in half. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, 

Erika

Round 27 : 1 ch (doesn’t count as a st) 3 sc in the first 3 sts, skip 2, 5 dc in the same st, *skip 2 sts, 5 sc, skip 2 sts, 5 dc in the same st*, repeat from *to* twice, skip 2 sts, 2 sc, sl st in the first sc.

Round 28 : 1 ch (doesn’t count as a st) , 1 sc, 2 ch, skip 2 sts, (in each dc from the row bellow) make 3 dc tog + 2 ch in the next 5 sts, skip 2 sts, *1 sc, 2 ch, skip 2 sts, (in each dc from the row bellow) make 3 dc tog + 2 ch in the next 5 sts, skip 2 sts*, repeat from *to* twice. Close the round with a sl st in the first sc.

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Something in round 28 makes sense but sounds odd (but I think it may just be a translation quirk).  "(in each dc from the row below) make 3 dc tog + 2 ch in the next 5 sts."  I think it should have omitted  'in each dc from the row below', because you can't dc3 tog in 1 stitch, and what it's describing covers 5 stitches (3 dc tog, chain 2).

What I sometimes do is draw a little stitch diagram when something sounds odd, which is a pain when you have say 300 stitches but not a big deal with 40.  You have 40 stitches to work with, draw 40 dashes -------- etc., representing stitches from the row below.  Then over those, writing right to left (same direction you are crocheting in, assuming you are right handed), write out what it says, putting a stitch symbol into each - where it says to make a stitch.  I do use symbol diagrammed patterns, but when I'm sketching something simple for a sanity check for myself I just use dots for chains and | for DCs and x for SC, which covers the most common stitches (and sort of mimics the 'right'  symbol).  For a DC3tog I sketch something like /|\ , spread over 3 stitches at the bottom.

• Like 1

My two cents worth :2c

on row 28 instead of dc three together, I think it means to do all the three sts into one st, finishing them off together like a dc3tog.  So it would be what's defined here https://www.yarnspirations.com/how-to-stitch-crochet-variations.html as a bobble.  

Row 27 should be a series of shells.  Then in 28 you make a bobble into each dc of the shell, with chs in between the bobbles.  That's what I see in the pictures, at any rate.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, magiccrochetfan said:

My two cents worth :2c

on row 28 instead of dc three together, I think it means to do all the three sts into one st, finishing them off together like a dc3tog.  So it would be what's defined here https://www.yarnspirations.com/how-to-stitch-crochet-variations.html as a bobble.  

Row 27 should be a series of shells.  Then in 28 you make a bobble into each dc of the shell, with chs in between the bobbles.  That's what I see in the pictures, at any rate.  

This is seeming to work out perfectly! I'm now on round 30. I hope the rest of the pattern works out well. Thank you for your help!

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

Something in round 28 makes sense but sounds odd (but I think it may just be a translation quirk).  "(in each dc from the row below) make 3 dc tog + 2 ch in the next 5 sts."  I think it should have omitted  'in each dc from the row below', because you can't dc3 tog in 1 stitch, and what it's describing covers 5 stitches (3 dc tog, chain 2).

What I sometimes do is draw a little stitch diagram when something sounds odd, which is a pain when you have say 300 stitches but not a big deal with 40.  You have 40 stitches to work with, draw 40 dashes -------- etc., representing stitches from the row below.  Then over those, writing right to left (same direction you are crocheting in, assuming you are right handed), write out what it says, putting a stitch symbol into each - where it says to make a stitch.  I do use symbol diagrammed patterns, but when I'm sketching something simple for a sanity check for myself I just use dots for chains and | for DCs and x for SC, which covers the most common stitches (and sort of mimics the 'right'  symbol).  For a DC3tog I sketch something like /|\ , spread over 3 stitches at the bottom.

Thank you for the quick response! I tried to draw a pattern but failed. Your directions make sense to me! Next time I run into this problem I'll know how to do this. 

You're welcome, and I'm glad Magiccrochetfan helped you sort it out.  There's a fine line between a bobble/cluster (what the pattern meant), versus a decrease (what I interpreted from the wording of the pattern in your post) - both are identical at the top end, but vary in the number of sts used at the bottom end. 

Have to admit I didn't give my answer as much focus as I should have, I had to run off due to realizing it was 1 hour later than I thought because DH changed the clocks early to standard time, oops!  I just got as far as seeing the page asked to be translated and didn't look at the photo so came back here and focused on the wording in your post.  So, normally when I suggest diagramming I don't just suggest it and run off, I sketch one out - here is a crude diagram segment for row 28, done correctly as bobbles not decreases.

scan0001.jpg