Adding width to a narrow afghan

Leslie T

Question

I am working on my first ever project. Now that I'm halfway through, I realize that it is too narrow.

I am using the Bernat Blanket yarn and the pattern is 1 dc 1 ch 1 dc in each space with 1 dc + 3 ch at each end.

I am thinking of just making a separate piece and attaching it.

What stitch would I use to attach it? I'm not sure a slip stitch would work because there would be a visible break in the pattern. 

Or should I just add a wide border all around? If so, how?

Luckily it is a variegated yarn. 

I need suggestions please! 

3 answers to this question

It would probably be easier to just put a wide border around it.  You can either match one of the colors in the variegated or just use the variegated. Put 2 stitches in each of the dcs on the sides, and just crochet regular stitches on each end.

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

I suggest adding a border all around, planning ahead a little to make it look right. 

Example, let's say that you think it's 10" to narrow.  Stop 10" short of the length, and put a 5" border all around it, in the same stitch pattern or a simple stitch, like plain sc or plain dc.  This way both length and width will be 10" greater, so where you want it.

Note - to 'turn the corner' cleanly, make the middle stitch a chain, it gives the distance around you need, but removes a little bulk so the corner turns sharper and lays better.  Example, sc corners should be 3 sc in a corner, so do sc, ch, sc.  DC corners should be 5 dc in a corner, so 2 dc, ch, 2 dc.

By the way, and take this with a grain of salt because I personally dislike the look of most variegated yarn, and think the border solution would have been better camouflaged  with a solid color--the variegated is going to pattern itself differently on the the longer border rounds than the shorter rows of the blanket, not to mention doing so in different direction on the sides, and is (again, IMO) going to look dissonant.  Consider using a solid color (a neutral, or one that matches one of the variegated colors) for the border, or at least the first rounds of the border, and end with variegated for the last rounds, or make stripes, so the solid color separates and distracts the eye a bit from the different pooling that's going to happen.