Color change in the round for amigurumi

ocelotito

Question

Most of my crochetting is amigurumis and I always make the usual color change that leaves an ugly step. I know there are several tutorials for making an invisible, or somewhat less visible but each method is a bit different. I'd like to know if anyone has here has a favorite method and if you can share a link to the instructions or video. I don't need to do stripes or anything too complicated, I just need to do one single color change in my pattern, but I want it to look as clean and good as possible because the toys are to be sold in a fundraiser. Thank you

7 answers to this question

I use the same method as the invisible decrease.  You crochet into the front loop of the stitch you are changing the color, do you change and then proceed to the next stitch.

I don't have a video on this, but I find this, especially in amigurumis'.  I find this much better and less bulky.

I am sure Grannysquares and them will be in to give you more ideas.

Thanks for the tip Tampa Doll, I didn't know the invisible increase idea would help with colorwork.

Another idea:  I found a pattern that said to solve 2 in-the-round colorwork issues of the stitches not being directly on top of each other, and less 'blippy' color changes, by simply working back loop only(BLO) (so, opposite of what Tampa Doll said; I think FLO improves the 'blip' problem but not the edge-slanting-right problem.  2 swatches I did for that hat - one shows the slant fix and different look of the stitch (grey line slants thru 2 loops, the red line started in the top of the last grey stitch but doesn't slant.  Second pic is actually the beginning of the hat on the left done BLO, and a swatch showing the same zigzag pattern thru both loops.  While neither had smooth edges, I preferred the look of the BLO over the 'normal' blippy swatch.  However, I think for a toy, BLO might not be the best idea because BLO does leave a ridge.  (sorry the images are so big, don't know how to fix that)

Third idea: This site incorporates BLO but only as the first step, and also yarn under, and makes a vertical 'line' but not a ridge.  It would probably work better for a toy.  (I haven't tried this yet)

http://alltapestrycrochet.com/creating-straight-vertical-lines-with-a-modified-sc/

671409662_Colorworkspiral2loopvsbackloop.jpg.a7a63ba7f2b0cb0f28038485dcbeb0d1.jpg

Neva Hat In Process.JPG

18 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Thank you. My issue is really in the spot where the rounds are joined. As it is normally crochetted in spirals, a step is always inevitable, unless it is made another way.

Thanks for the tip Tampa Doll, I didn't know the invisible increase idea would help with colorwork.

Another idea:  I found a pattern that said to solve 2 in-the-round colorwork issues of the stitches not being directly on top of each other, and less 'blippy' color changes, by simply working back loop only(BLO) (so, opposite of what Tampa Doll said; I think FLO improves the 'blip' problem but not the edge-slanting-right problem.  2 swatches I did for that hat - one shows the slant fix and different look of the stitch (grey line slants thru 2 loops, the red line started in the top of the last grey stitch but doesn't slant.  Second pic is actually the beginning of the hat on the left done BLO, and a swatch showing the same zigzag pattern thru both loops.  While neither had smooth edges, I preferred the look of the BLO over the 'normal' blippy swatch.  However, I think for a toy, BLO might not be the best idea because BLO does leave a ridge.  (sorry the images are so big, don't know how to fix that)

Third idea: This site incorporates BLO but only as the first step, and also yarn under, and makes a vertical 'line' but not a ridge.  It would probably work better for a toy.  (I haven't tried this yet)

http://alltapestrycrochet.com/creating-straight-vertical-lines-with-a-modified-sc/

671409662_Colorworkspiral2loopvsbackloop.jpg.a7a63ba7f2b0cb0f28038485dcbeb0d1.jpg

Neva Hat In Process.JPG