Mid Century Modern star for tree topper

Kayla Jackson

Question

I’m looking for a pattern to make a large mid century modern star for a Christmas tree topper. Our tree is going to have that theme this year, but it’s going to be a flat on the wall tree. So I was thinking that an amigurumi (sp?) star would be perfect, but I can’t find a mid century pattern (something like the pictures I added). I only found two flat patterns, but they are not amigurumi, and one is small.

Here’s what I found:

1. https://www.mamtamotiyani.com/product/star-of-aruba-crochet-flag-pattern
2. https://www.petalstopicots.com/crocheted-star-of-bethlehem-ornament/

Anyone have any ideas?

258D5899-E4E9-4623-90DE-7BF78CB899EC.jpeg

FA3DEA21-A2A8-4717-A3C5-6EB94AF83038.jpeg

14 answers to this question

Wow Granny Square those star pinatas are sooooo cool.... anyway I spent a bit making this up Kayla, super simple but those star pinatas WOW!

101_1131.JPG

101_1132.JPG

• Thanks 1

Kayla, I think the yellow stars made by Crochete may have been the first pattern that you linked in your first post - (Star of Aruba).  Except the pattern (which is a paid pattern, so I'm going by the photo) appears to be DC while Crochete's version looks like SC. 

Crochete's version appears to be 2 sc squares (made back and forth) for the middle panels, joined together by 4 conical 'hats'.  You can tell that the squares were worked back and forth, but the 'hats' were worked in the round.

Along the lines of: make the 2 squares, finishing off the first but don't cut the yarn on the second, rather turn and (now, the side you just turned to is the front) make another row across that square and when you run out of stitches, continue across 1 side of the other square (make sure the outsides of the squares are oriented the same way before you connect, or it will look odd).  Continue around, making decreases to shape the 'hat'.  When 1 'hat' is done, reattach the  yarn to the adjacent side of the square and repeat, for the rest of the hats.  You'll probably want to start stuffing after 3 hats, and stuff the last hat as you go.

Another way to get that shape (like the first photo in the first post) might be to work center out in a sort of solid sc 'granny square' fashion, and on the last round or 2 instead of straight sc, make the first corner stitch a tr, then extended dc, then dc, then extended hdc, then hdc, then extended sc, then sc...then grow it back up to the next corner with stitches in the opposite order.  You might have to fiddle with the stitch combo from tall to short and back again to get the look you want, example skip the extrended sts for a more abrupt 'hill' at each end.  Then make a matching squished square star and sew or crochet the edges together-the edge seam might be interesting if sc'd in a contrasting color.

1 hour ago, Kayla Jackson said:

Wow, do you have a pattern? I think it would be awesome in gold or silver!

I think they would look really good in gold or silver or even eyelash thread (held with your yarn of choice) in gold/silver sparkling thru it :0)

Here's what I did:

23 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I think the yellow stars made by Crochete may have been the first pattern that you linked in your first post

By looking at what was done in that star I was inspired so...

In single crochet I made two squares, they can be any size, even granny squares if you like, as long a they are square

Then I attached and crocheted across (sc), decreasing one stitch every row til I got to one stitch remaining, fasten off... do all four sides on both squares

Then I sewed the edges of both together leaving a little space for stuffing, stuffed it up real puffy, then I closed it up, that's it :0)

I thought that for attaching it to the top of your tree you could slip a thread thru the back and tie it to your top branch.

Let me know if you need any help.

p.s. this is something I dreamed up today and anybody may use as you like, cheers :0)

101_1126.JPG

101_1127.JPG

101_1128.JPG

My first thought was the Star of Bethlehem one you linked, I think that is really pretty.  

For the photo you posted of the diamond shapes.....you might be able to crochet a diamond and stretch the corners in blocking it.  I've found when making snowflakes in cotton thread, that I can stretch them to create different looks.   that would need to be stiffened to hold the shape.  

Edit...this https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Kathy-crochet/ornaments-2 is an example of stretched diamond shape, the less lacy one.  I think you could do this with many center out square patterns, as long as there are increases at the corners.  

If I can think of other ideas, I will post. 

Edited by magiccrochetfan
Add info and link

1 hour ago, magiccrochetfan said:

My first thought was the Star of Bethlehem one you linked, I think that is really pretty.  

For the photo you posted of the diamond shapes.....you might be able to crochet a diamond and stretch the corners in blocking it.  I've found when making snowflakes in cotton thread, that I can stretch them to create different looks.   that would need to be stiffened to hold the shape.  

Edit...this https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Kathy-crochet/ornaments-2 is an example of stretched diamond shape, the less lacy one.  I think you could do this with many center out square patterns, as long as there are increases at the corners.  

If I can think of other ideas, I will post. 

Well, I was thinking of a puffy shape, which is why I said amigurumi lol, and the tree will be the size of a regular Christmas tree, so bigger- around the size of a regular tree topper. But thanks for the ideas, and keep thinking if you want to!

Ah, I kinda missed the amigurumi part. :blush

well I think a center out square could be made solid, with extra increases at the corners , to make the diamond shape, then sewn together and stuffed.  But I do not know of a pattern for that, it would be an experiment 

2 hours ago, crochete said:

Wow Granny Square those star pinatas are sooooo cool.... anyway I spent a bit making this up Kayla, super simple but those star pinatas WOW!

101_1131.JPG

101_1132.JPG

Wow, do you have a pattern? I think it would be awesome in gold or silver!

On 10/24/2019 at 11:41 AM, Granny Square said:

Ah, gotcha Crochete, you did such a tidy sewing job I didn't spot the seam in the photo showing the top of the star!

:2blush, thanks