Knitting for the homeless

D'Anne Anthony

Hello,

I hope you are having a great Sunday!

I am a student at Georgia State University, and through my years living in ATL, I have seen the homeless go through terrible experiences definitely in the winter.  

I felt useless that I couldn't help them because I am a college student with barely any money. However, I do have the skills to knit, and I thought I could knit scarfs for the homeless.

My goal is to make 200 scarfs for the people in Atlanta who do not have a home this winter.

I wish I started earlier, but I am pushing forward and would like help completing this goal.

I am messaging you to see if you and your members would like to knit a scarf for someone in need.

I will provide the yarn and everything you need. I just need the helping hands!
Please get back to me on how many people would like to help so I can provide you the yarn.

Thank you, and looking forward to hearing back with you!

D'Anne Anthony
danthony9@student.gsu.edu

Welcome to Crocetville.  It is always nice to meet new people.

You might want to post your request to Crochet for Charity.  You might also ask for crocheted scarfs.  Here is the area to post your request.

https://forum.crochetville.com/forum/14-crochet-for-charity/

I'm glad Lilly brought this thread back up; it had slipped my mind.

Mary Jo is correct about reposting in the charity section to be noticed as a request.

Does it matter if the scarves are crocheted? Are there any guidelines about width or length? What is the deadline for getting them mailed to you?

I have plenty yarn and don't mind paying shipping to you.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

I am not sure that would work out well. Just shipping that yarn to people would cost you a LOT. And then who would pay for shipping those scarfs to Atlanta?. All that money to be waist just for all those shipping's... There are many homeless people in every State & every city where each of us are living. So every donation can be just "drop off".  I do strongly believe in donations without wasting money not making shipping business's rich in that process. Because we can help more people & animals with that money. Yes, there are some instances that shipping is a "must" like those " Christmas Mini Stockings" for our army guys overseas. I assume there are other cases similar to that. 

And you just mentioned that you are a student and you do not have much money.

Krys

Welcome to Crochetville, I salute you for what you're doing. I'm involved with a charity for homeless women and I can agree with you that is one rewarding way to use your crafting skills.

• 5 weeks later...