Hello there. Need a little help.

cajungirl

Hi everybody! I'm a beginner crocheter and I've gotten stuck on a newsboy hat pattern. So here's the trouble. I start the hat with a magic circle, chain 2, and half double crochet 16 stitches, slip stitch to join. So far, so good. Next, ch2, ( 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st ) x 8 times, ss to join. ( 24 sts )  The pattern says to slip stitch in the top of the first stitch of the round to join. Chain 2 in the beginning of the round does not count as a half double crochet. So, when I do that I end up with 23 sts instead of 24 sts. Do I crochet in the same stitch that I slip stitched into, do I count the slip stitch as a stitch? Am I not counting properly?  What on earth am I doing wrong?!

Hi Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

I am not very good with clothing, so I know several will be in here to help.  If not ask in the General questions.  There is always someone on here who can help you.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/384997402/crochet-pattern-the-belmont-scally-cap   It's a cute hat.  

I think the problem may be that you are skipping the first stitch of the round, the one the ch2 arises out of.  If the ch2 counted as a stitch, it would be right to skip that first stitch, but here it is not counted so you need to put a st in the first st of round.  It says "next" st, but i think that doesn't mean to skip the first st.  anyway  you could try that and see if it works better.  

I do agree with Lilly, being one stitch off will probably not be a huge problem.   

If the discussion here doesnt help you resolve it, you could ask the seller.  the etsy page includes a way to message her.   

• 1 month later...