How to increase shell pattern for a round yoke?

Miranda Smith

Question

Hi there, 

I have this pattern which I'm loving but it is straight and I want to make it round for a yoke, so please tell me how many stitches do I need to add in the second, third, fourth rows....as an increase and where to add them in order to take a round shape?

https://mypicot.com/0084.html

NOTE: I am using a 1mm crochet hook with  silk thread and I made a base chain of 286 chains.

Thank you in advance.

5 answers to this question

Honestly I don't think this stitch pattern is a good candidate for increasing. At least I don't think there's a simple way to do it.   But if you want to try, you might look at a recent book by Dora Ohrenstein which is all about shaping in stitch patterns https://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Every-Way-Stitch-Dictionary/dp/1419732919/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Dora+ohrenstein&qid=1570023576&sr=8-1

it includes all kinds of stitch patterns and shows different approaches to increasing.  

• Like 1

Just now, USpolishgirl said:

I do not think you can not increase that stitch.

Krys

20 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Honestly I don't think this stitch pattern is a good candidate for increasing. At least I don't think there's a simple way to do it.   But if you want to try, you might look at a recent book by Dora Ohrenstein which is all about shaping in stitch patterns https://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Every-Way-Stitch-Dictionary/dp/1419732919/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Dora+ohrenstein&qid=1570023576&sr=8-1

it includes all kinds of stitch patterns and shows different approaches to increasing.  

Thank you lovely ladies for ur kind answers and would u please give me a standard rule of increasing in similar situations supposing that the stitch is able to be increased?

Thnx again.

I agree with Krys and Magic, not that it can't be done but is not the best candidate for this maneuver.  Just asking - is a 'boat neck' (basically a slit) or a square-cornered neck just big enough to get your head thru if you're worried about warmth, absolutely out of the question?  Necklines don't have to be round, and either of these would be easy to do with this pattern.  I think I'd add a round or 2 of sc around for stability, tho.

The way this sort of thing is often done in doilies is new shapes (like pineapples) slowly form, a couple of added stitches per shape per row, between existing shapes.  I could see this (maybe) working top down with raglan style increases.  (pineapple example, see outer round).  But, I'm not sure this would look great with this pattern.

The only 2 things that that I'd consider myself, beside the easier necklines, is find a sc raglan pattern with a neckline you like and make a plain, solid color yoke (which would be from armpit to neckline, in other words not just the top of the body but the top of the sleeves too), then below the raglan increases make the sleeves and body in the shell pattern, and back to the plain color for ribbing at the hem and sleeve cuffs.  Or pick a non-raglan pattern with the neckline you want, and use the shell only for a few inches at the cuffs and hemline. 

Design tip - if you can't get a fit with complete pattern repeats (which are a LOT of stitches here), if you must make a 'seam' if only in appearance (like, a column of shells that are fewer than 16 stitches wide) put it in a place a sewn garments would have seams--body sides, underarms.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I agree with Krys and Magic, not that it can't be done but is not the best candidate for this maneuver.  Just asking - is a 'boat neck' (basically a slit) or a square-cornered neck just big enough to get your head thru if you're worried about warmth, absolutely out of the question?  Necklines don't have to be round, and either of these would be easy to do with this pattern.  I think I'd add a round or 2 of sc around for stability, tho.

The way this sort of thing is often done in doilies is new shapes (like pineapples) slowly form, a couple of added stitches per shape per row, between existing shapes.  I could see this (maybe) working top down with raglan style increases.  (pineapple example, see outer round).  But, I'm not sure this would look great with this pattern.

The only 2 things that that I'd consider myself, beside the easier necklines, is find a sc raglan pattern with a neckline you like and make a plain, solid color yoke (which would be from armpit to neckline, in other words not just the top of the body but the top of the sleeves too), then below the raglan increases make the sleeves and body in the shell pattern, and back to the plain color for ribbing at the hem and sleeve cuffs.  Or pick a non-raglan pattern with the neckline you want, and use the shell only for a few inches at the cuffs and hemline. 

Design tip - if you can't get a fit with complete pattern repeats (which are a LOT of stitches here), if you must make a 'seam' if only in appearance (like, a column of shells that are fewer than 16 stitches wide) put it in a place a sewn garments would have seams--body sides, underarms.  

Thank u so much, I'll consider ur precious suggestions.