Stitch ID

ReniC

Question

Anyone have a clue what stitch this is? I'm not interested in the pattern, just the stitch.

ETA: I've looked at the Crystal Wave st, Suzette st and the Even Moss st and they're each a little bit different.

Edited by ReniC
ETA

15 answers to this question

That's pretty.  Went thru my crochet stitch dictionary and didn't find it, this (video) and this (another video, I hate videos) are vaguely similar but not quite it...

Another not it but similar  (laughing now, new post popped up -- thanks for your confidence in me Krys but I'm still looking !! Identifying stitch patterns isn't my strong suit.  It does look familiar tho...)

This isn't it either...or this...sorry.  But it was nice getting lost for a while at MyPicot for a while...

Thanks ladies. I've looked at so many stitches my eyeballs are crossed. Doesn't look like I'm going to find it soon. I was thinking about a poncho for my 10 yo G-GD but I'm going to put it on hold so I'm not starting another project.

Hey Reni - does your GGD like flowers/colorful things?  TOTALLY different from what you were looking for, but these caught my eye, it's been a long time since I wandered around mypicot...the last one is ingenious, it looks like individual center-out flowers but isn't (and a flower-power-striped poncho would be cool).

Flower popcorn stitch

Flower stitch

6 hours ago, Skysmom said:

Hi there!  My first thought was the blanket stitch?  https://www.mamainastitch.com/simple-crocheted-blanket-go-pattern/

Hi Mary and Thank you. That's another one to try and see how it looks. Very similar. One of these stitches is sure to work that everyone has been so generous to post links for me.

21 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hey Reni - does your GGD like flowers/colorful things?  TOTALLY different from what you were looking for, but these caught my eye, it's been a long time since I wandered around mypicot...the last one is ingenious, it looks like individual center-out flowers but isn't (and a flower-power-striped poncho would be cool).

Flower popcorn stitch

Flower stitch

I don't have a clue if she likes flowery things or not, but, for such a young age she is really a fashionista- loves clothes. If I make her a poncho though, I'll have to make her 2 sisters one also so, I need to keep it to simple stitches that will go fast. I might be biting off more than I can chew. I'm sure you know how it goes; see a pattern then want to make it immediately. LOL

Ah, gotcha, I know what you mean about getting fixated on a pattern.

Only poncho pattern I've made was the 'coming home' poncho from Lion Brand, I made myself one and 2 others for Christmas gifts around the time that pattern became popular.  It's basically a 2 cornered granny square with a hole in the middle and goes quickly....I just looked at the pattern and forgot it called for Homespun, I used RHSS.  Just checked my pattern printout - I used a J hook and made more rounds. I didn't write down the # of rounds but noted (after some trial and error) that you needed a multiple of 3 blocks (block=3 DC) for the edging to work out right (which jibes with the pattern, which ends with 60 blocks).

http://www.lionbrand.com/crochet-pattern-martha-stewart-coming-home-poncho-1.html  adult size

http://www.lionbrand.com/martha-stewart-coming-home-poncho-kid-s-size.html  kid size (1 size, it gives measurements)

45 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Ah, gotcha, I know what you mean about getting fixated on a pattern.

Only poncho pattern I've made was the 'coming home' poncho from Lion Brand, I made myself one and 2 others for Christmas gifts around the time that pattern became popular.  It's basically a 2 cornered granny square with a hole in the middle and goes quickly....I just looked at the pattern and forgot it called for Homespun, I used RHSS.  Just checked my pattern printout - I used a J hook and made more rounds. I didn't write down the # of rounds but noted (after some trial and error) that you needed a multiple of 3 blocks (block=3 DC) for the edging to work out right (which jibes with the pattern, which ends with 60 blocks).

http://www.lionbrand.com/crochet-pattern-martha-stewart-coming-home-poncho-1.html  adult size

http://www.lionbrand.com/martha-stewart-coming-home-poncho-kid-s-size.html  kid size (1 size, it gives measurements)

Oh- good info, Thanks. (added to my copy) I also made this poncho when it first came out. Gave it to a "friend" as she raved about it but, never wore it, so, I asked her to give it to another mutual friend, which she did. The other gal wore it a lot and still is as far as I know. She loved it. Who'd of guessed.

Maybe I should stick with the child's size. Hmmmmm

Edited by ReniC

Ellie13, that's an interesting idea...would give you the bumps and gaps that you see in the shawl, so might be pretty close to the look and quick.  Plus you can do that stitch not-on-the-diagonal as well, which might be easier for a poncho (the kind where you put together 2 rectangles maybe?), or at least give more options.

The lady I've been helping to locate this stitch, and is going to make a shawl for her wedding, has decided on using the "Popcorn Waffle" stitch. I'd never heard of it before, but, she found it in a crochet stitch book she forgot she had. She is in the UK so,it's probably in a book I've never seen. I'm hoping I get to see her finished project. Thank you all for the great help.