Clown pattern sought

Elaine Pack

Question

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I made her a crocheted clown doll. She loved it so much she still has it as an adult :) Well, she is now preggers herself and I want to make HER daughter her OWN clown :) I've found tons of patterns but the vast majority are those tiny amigurumi ones that I personally don't especially care for, or an occasional 18+ inch ones. What I'd like is a pattern for a female or at least generic 12+/- inch tall clown. I see a lot on various pinterest or etsy sites, but surprisingly, many don't think to show finished height, and well, so many patterns, so little time, ya know? I'm willing to buy a pattern, but as always free is GOOD :)

Any suggestions welcome!

Elaine

PS before anyone asks, the original pattern I had did not survive multiple moves around the country unfortunately. 

Edited by Elaine Pack

Hello and Welcome to Crochetville! :)

After reading your post I checked on Pinterest for crochet Clown.  I was very surprized there are many patterns for a very nice Clowns - toys for children. As for the size, you can always change that size a little. By using different hook or different weight of yarn or just simply make some parts little shorter & that head little smaller. Besides that Clown you could make a "Clown Lovey".  My opinion would be that "Lovey" would work a lot better for a very young child. Because they are softer & easier to hold on to by a baby. That lover part is just a small blankie. Only head & arms are "stuffed".

I just came a cross on Pinterest  a pattern book with very nice patterns- toys for young kids. That  pattern book is sold on Amazon, I think I am going to buy that book.  My very dear friend is expecting grand child in March :). Here is that link:  https://amvabecrochet.com/huggy-dolls-2-amigurumi-crochet-patterns-crochet-pattern-book/

Those Clowns in that book look very nice to me :)

Krys

Clown from Pinterest.jpg

I did not read that last line of your post until now. If you are looking for the same Clown pattern that your daughter have, you might not find that.  Take a picture of that Clown and post here, maybe someone seen that...??. As long as your mind is set on the same Clown.. nothing else will do! :)

Krys

On 9/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, USpolishgirl said:

Hello and Welcome to Crochetville! :)

After reading your post I checked on Pinterest for crochet Clown.  I was very surprized there are many patterns for a very nice Clowns - toys for children. As for the size, you can always change that size a little. By using different hook or different weight of yarn or just simply make some parts little shorter & that head little smaller. Besides that Clown you could make a "Clown Lovey".  My opinion would be that "Lovey" would work a lot better for a very young child. Because they are softer & easier to hold on to by a baby. That lover part is just a small blankie. Only head & arms are "stuffed".

Thanks! As noted, yes, I've seen a LOT of patterns, but most have been those amigurumi ones that are way too small. I'm very good at following directions but not so hot at all at changing them a LOT, size-wise, hence looking for something that is the right size right from the start. I have been crocheting a long time, but don't consider myself an expert, far from it.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, USpolishgirl said:

I just came a cross on Pinterest  a pattern book with very nice patterns- toys for young kids. That  pattern book is sold on Amazon, I think I am going to buy that book.  My very dear friend is expecting grand child in March :). Here is that link:  https://amvabecrochet.com/huggy-dolls-2-amigurumi-crochet-patterns-crochet-pattern-book/

Those Clowns in that book look very nice to me :)

They sure are cute and very much like what I am looking for, design-wise anyway. But is that book nothing but amigurumi? I really don't care for those, frankly. 

elaine

Clown from Pinterest.jpg

On 9/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

This is 12" (his arms are a bit odd, but would not be hard to enlarge), and free  http://www.amidorablecrochet.ca/2014/09/clown-pattern.html#.XZDb40ZKgdU

Thanks! Oh I've seen this one! I thought it was one of those tiny ones :) I'll add it to the list of possibles--hoping for a girl or more generic clown, but this is cute :)

On 9/29/2019 at 1:17 PM, USpolishgirl said:

I did not read that last line of your post until now. If you are looking for the same Clown pattern that your daughter have, you might not find that.  Take a picture of that Clown and post here, maybe someone seen that...??. As long as your mind is set on the same Clown.. nothing else will do! :)

Krys

Oh gosh no! That pattern is lost forever, it was 40 years ago :) I don't have a photo of it, unfortunately (but I'll check some of my older photos, never know), and the doll itself is a couple of states away. Plus it's to be a surprise. I'm looking for a female or generic "classic" clown, nothing fancy or intricate, same as the original clown which is also generic. Thanks tho!

Welcome to the 'ville!

This is 12" (his arms are a bit odd, but would not be hard to enlarge), and free  http://www.amidorablecrochet.ca/2014/09/clown-pattern.html#.XZDb40ZKgdU

Thanks! So funny, turns out I HAVE this pattern :) Who knew? But still looking!

Very nice pictures :)

That word "Amigurumi" dos not mean that all of them are small. Amigurumi come in many different sizes.. All of them are just " stuffed toys"; miniature, small, medium or bigger..

I see  that old Clown dos not have hair. That is probably good idea for very young kids. They put everything to their mouth and suck on it over & over again. Those loose pieces of yarn probably would start breaking up and that child would be swallowing  all of that and that would not be good.  One more thing, do NOT use "safety eyes" for a child under 3 years old. They are not that safe as you might think.

Good Luck with that Clown! :)

Krys 

11 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Very nice pictures :)

That word "Amigurumi" dos not mean that all of them are small. Amigurumi come in many different sizes.. All of them are just " stuffed toys"; miniature, small, medium or bigger..

I see  that old Clown dos not have hair. That is probably good idea for very young kids. They put everything to their mouth and suck on it over & over again. Those loose pieces of yarn probably would start breaking up and that child would be swallowing  all of that and that would not be good.  One more thing, do NOT use "safety eyes" for a child under 3 years old. They are not that safe as you might think.

Good Luck with that Clown! :)

Krys 

Ah, interesting on the definition, probably just coincidental the ones I looked at were all tiny. Many do, thanks, but it would be helpful if folks consistently had the approximate finished dimensions on the photos.

Agree on the hair! Hadn't thought about that yet, but easy enough to leave it off. Luckily the old pattern came hairless.

The eyes (and hat) are sewn on yarn, not metal or plastic. I probably didn't think of that back when, but luckily the pattern specifically said to crochet them and sew them onto the head. But yes, we all know now of course that babies and youngsters and tiny metal/plastic things don't mix.

elaine

I can usually figure it out what is the size of that item as long as I have picture close enough that I can see the rows (count the rows). I always crochet my Amigurumi tight with much smaller hook (2.75 mm.). That way they look nice, that stuffing is not showing between stitches. Most of the the time I use worsted weight yarn (RHSS).  That always works out  for me 4 rows = 1 inch.

Maybe you should make a swatch (sample) and see how that is working out for you. How many rows will go to 1" or 2"?. I think that would help you to figure it out how tall something is from picture (if you know what weight yarn was used). At least I know what size that would be if I would crochet that with worsted weight yarn LOL. If you crochet a ball (head for that Clown) the first 3 or 4 rows and the last 3 or 4 rows I would not add those to the height. Because those rows (top & bottom) do not add anything to the height. Same thing  like the rounds to make bottom of shoes (soles) will not add anything, maybe very little to the height.

If you have a free pattern you can figure it out a lot easier the height (size) of that toy. Just by counting the rows  (those rows what are adding to that height).

That Clown with those weird little arms using worsted weight yarn would be 12" tall without that hat. That hat would be extra, 12" + that hat :)

I hope that info. might help you,

Krys

Here is a beautiful "Sock Monkey" I thought you might like that. I fallen in love with that Monkey & I bought that pattern. WHO on earth would not love that?? :). I was not looking at that pattern yet, but from those pictures I think only that head is stuffed not the body of that Monkey, I could be wrong LOL. That Monkey is 12" tall using that beautiful velvety yarn. That is a bulky yarn - Premier Parfait yarn. I love the way that yarn looks & feels sooo soft :).

Sock Monkey 1.jpg

Sock Monkey 2.jpg

Sock Monkey 3.jpg

Love the monkey ! Where do I get the pattern. I think the monkey pattern might make a nice clown. Just skip the nose and tail pieces. Make the head white and the body in  colors to look like clothes.  Sew on a clown face, hat and neck ruffle. You could even lightly stuff the body. 

Ellie 13

3 minutes ago, Ellie 13 said:

Love the monkey ! Where do I get the pattern. I think the monkey pattern might make a nice clown. Just skip the nose and tail pieces. Make the head white and the body in  colors to look like clothes.  Sew on a clown face, hat and neck ruffle. You could even lightly stuff the body. 

Ellie 13

Link to that pattern is above  Monkey pictures.

13 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I can usually figure it out what is the size of that item as long as I have picture close enough that I can see the rows (count the rows). I always crochet my Amigurumi tight with much smaller hook (2.75 mm.). That way they look nice, that stuffing is not showing between stitches. Most of the the time I use worsted weight yarn (RHSS).  That always works out  for me 4 rows = 1 inch.

Maybe you should make a swatch (sample) and see how that is working out for you. How many rows will go to 1" or 2"?. I think that would help you to figure it out how tall something is from picture (if you know what weight yarn was used). At least I know what size that would be if I would crochet that with worsted weight yarn LOL. If you crochet a ball (head for that Clown) the first 3 or 4 rows and the last 3 or 4 rows I would not add those to the height. Because those rows (top & bottom) do not add anything to the height. Same thing  like the rounds to make bottom of shoes (soles) will not add anything, maybe very little to the height.

If you have a free pattern you can figure it out a lot easier the height (size) of that toy. Just by counting the rows  (those rows what are adding to that height).

That Clown with those weird little arms using worsted weight yarn would be 12" tall without that hat. That hat would be extra, 12" + that hat :)

I hope that info. might help you,

Krys

Heh! I"m not THAT talented :)  :) I tend to work on the tight side, so as long as the item is big enough not to matter if it's a tiny bit smaller, it works for me :) 

The weird armed guy with arms to be lengthened (which I CAN do :) is a definite candidate, thanks!

elaine

12 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Here is a beautiful "Sock Monkey" I thought you might like that. I fallen in love with that Monkey & I bought that pattern. WHO on earth would not love that?? :). I was not looking at that pattern yet, but from those pictures I think only that head is stuffed not the body of that Monkey, I could be wrong LOL. That Monkey is 12" tall using that beautiful velvety yarn. That is a bulky yarn - Premier Parfait yarn. I love the way that yarn looks & feels sooo soft :).

Sock Monkey 1.jpg

Sock Monkey 2.jpg

Sock Monkey 3.jpg

The monkey is definitely a cutie! And with the adjustments you mentioned, a definite candidate too! I've asked the author about the body, will report back what she says. I agree it's a bit ambiguous.

elaine

I just was trying to help. So you would be able to know  (figure it out) HOW TALL that Clown or any other toy is.  Because you been complaining that those  "pattern people"  they do not specified the height of that toy. You do not need any talent to make a swatch count & measure. Once you would make those swatches you would know forever how tall or long everything would be if you would make that using sc stitch. :). SC stitch is almost always used  making stuffed toys.

Krys

10 minutes ago, Elaine Pack said:

The monkey is definitely a cutie! And with the adjustments you mentioned, a definite candidate too! I've asked the author about the body, will report back what she says. I agree it's a bit ambiguous.

elaine

That was not me, I did NOT mentioned any adjustment.

Talking about Monkey's..

I made that Monkey Lovey for my friend granddaughter.  I call that " Colorful Monkey Lovey"

That is my picture :)

Krys

DSC00339 (1).JPG

Edited by USpolishgirl
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Elaine Pack said:

elaine

She said it was not stuffed, but I asked if she had a version or instructions to make it stuffable. I think tho, maybe even *I* might be able to add a belly :)

elaine

14 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I just was trying to help. So you would be able to know  (figure it out) HOW TALL that Clown or any other toy is.  Because you been complaining that those  "pattern people"  they do not specified the height of that toy. You do not need any talent to make a swatch count & measure. Once you would make those swatches you would know forever how tall or long everything would be if you would make that using sc stitch. :). SC stitch is almost always used  making stuffed toys.

Krys

I'm sorry :( I wasn't trying to criticize, seriously! I appreciate everything you said! And height is just a handy thing to know in advance for anyone looking for something in particular where it might matter as this does for me. I don't crochet all that much anymore, just booties for my daughter's friends, and haven't made anything else in many years. Skills, manual and mental, do get rusty. Your point about making a swatch is helpful, thank you.

14 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

That was not me, I did NOT mentioned any adjustment.

Oh I'm so sorry, this particular messaging format is a lot different from others I mostly use and I'm still getting used to it. I thought I was answering the person who mentioned something about adjustments but upon reflection, it may have been about a different pattern, the arm length on one, I think, something like that anyway. My apologies again.

(a bit later) It was actually a comment from Ellie 13 I thought I was responding to and it WAS about the monkey.

Edited by Elaine Pack

21 minutes ago, Elaine Pack said:

She said it was not stuffed, but I asked if she had a version or instructions to make it stuffable. I think tho, maybe even *I* might be able to add a belly :)

elaine

As you can see on that picture, that body of that Monkey is crochet with different stitch (not sc). That stitch should not be stuffed because all that stuffing would be showing-up.  If you want to have that body stuffed you need to use sc stitch. BUT, than you need to adjust that pattern because sc stitch is a lot smaller. Anyway who knows how that Monkey's body would really look when is stuffed the way it is designed. Maybe it would not look good at all. Maybe that would need to be REDESIGN to look good when is stuffed..?