Color pooling problem

WhatUpMahKnittas

Question

So, I've been working on a color pooled blanket. When I first began, I under estimated the amount of yarn I'd need and only purchased 16 skeins. To my dismay, 16 skeins was only good for about 2/3 of the blanket. The problem is, the yarn has dyelots. I bought some more yarn to find that the color sections were longer than my original yarn, but not too long that I couldn't work around the extra length. I started with clusters of 3 with a 5.5mm hook, DC, and semitight tension (I would wear bandaids on my fingers to prevent the yarn burn). With the new yarn, I loosened the tension a bit to ensure the colors stay within their "pooled" colors and some of the clusters include 1-2 htr which not only made the clusters looser, but made the gaps in between the clusters looser also. 

I've never blocked my work before. I've never felt the need or care to be meticulous with my blankets because they mostly come out even, and I'm not much of a perfectionist. This one will be very obviously uneven, and the perfectionist is coming out. Is this something that blocking can fix? Can I block the edges AND central areas to at least create the illusion that it's even? Or am I giving this too much thought? Please help. 😭

20190925_150856.jpg

Edited by WhatUpMahKnittas
I added a picture. The top portion of the picture is the afroentioned problem side. See how it opens up?

1 answer to this question