Maria Arroyo

Problem with crochet pattern instruction

Question

Hello! I'm new in the crochet world and need some help understanding patterns. Up to now, I have been following video tutorials for beginners  with some degree of success. Now I am trying to work with written patterns. Can you explain me what the instruction: Rounds 5-7 (7, 9, 9, 11) means?
Up to this round everything was going fine. Thank you for your help.

4 answers to this question

In my understanding, it's saying rows 5, 6, and 7 each have: 7 stitches, 9 stitches, 9 stitches, or 11 stitches, depending on the size you're making, from smallest to largest. For example, I just made a hat, and it had kids size, teens, adult, and adult large, so it also had four numbers in parentheses. Hope this helps!

Thank very much for taking your time to answer me. Let me clarify. I'm working in the round, making hexagons. The instruction do detail the number of stitches expected. The complete instruction is:

Rounds 5-7 (7, 9, 9, 11): Rep Round 4. [23 (23, 29, 29, 35) dc for Side 1; 27 (27, 35, 35, 43) dc for all other sides]

Thank you.

What Cornflake27 said.  A little more explanation:  at the beginning of your pattern it must have said something like "written in size 1; sizes 2 thru 5 given in parentheses".  So, I've colorized the sizes and what to do; in this case the 'what' is the same (repeat round 4) but the 'where' changes.

"Rounds 5-7 (7, 9, 9, 11): repeat round 4. 

For size 1 you repeat round 4's instruction for rows 5, 6, and 7. 

For size 2, you repeat round 4's pattern for round 7.

For size 3 and 4, you repeat round 4's pattern for round 9

For size 5 you repeat round 4's pattern for round 11.