Decreasing

Sarah_Anderson

Question

I am working from a pattern and I can not figure out how to work through it. Could someone explain maybe in another way to make sense to me. This is what the pattern says:

Round 3: Ch 2, turn; skip next tr, dc in next sc, ch 2, (decrease, ch 2) around to last tr, work First Leg of decrease, YO, skip last tr, insert hook in joining slip st, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook, ch 2; join with slip st to first dc: 18ch-2 sps.

Also gives instructions on the side:

First Leg: YO, insert hook in same sc as last st made, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops remaining).

Second Leg: YO, skip next tr, insert hook in next sc, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

A decrease of 1 (of any stitch) turns 2 stitch bottoms into 1 stitch top.  Imagine creating and  joining 2 legs at the waist.

For any stitch (single, double, treble, etc.) decrease, or "x"2tog (x=whatever stitch, join them together), you work into the first stitch/leg of the decrease just short of the last 'yo, pull thru', then work the second stitch/leg the same way, then yarn over and pull thru the remaining 3 loops that were left unworked.  There's always 1 more loop on the hook at the end, than legs.  

I hope this helps you to picture what is going on.  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1