AmyNoelle

Question

I have held onto this pattern for a LONG time. After several years- I finally felt confident enough to tackle it. But... I've been stumped on this part for awhile. I thought it may have been a mistake. I have never seen armhole shaping worked into the back by leaving stitches unworked on BOTH sides of the row. This one is written as follows for the back piece:

"For the armhole shaping leave 4 sts each side unworked, then leave sts unworked every row as foll: 2 sts 3 times = 61 sts. Work even until piece measures 27"/69 cm from beg. For the shoulder shaping leave sts unworked each side 8 sts 2 times. When piece measures 27 1/2"/70 cm from beg, for the neck shaping leave the center 29 sts unworked and work both sides at once."

Full Pattern: https://knitted-patterns.com/knitting-for-women/crochet/jackets/3695-crocheted-jacket-with-lapel

How do you you leave stitches unworked on BOTH sides of the row? I know how to leave "remaining" stitches unworked or to work decreases at the beginning & end of the row, but not this. The only way I could think it's possible is to start new yarn for each row, but that would be ridiculous, right? If you know something I don't- any help/advice would be appreciated.

(Just an added note: I haven't got there yet, but I also noticed it states to work both sides at once for the shoulders after leaving 29 stitches unworked in the middle. I'm not sure how you would do that either. I'm used to working one side and then reattaching yarn to work the other side.)

Thank you in advanced to anyone with ideas!

Take Care,

AmyNoelle

6 answers to this question

you're welcome 🙂    as far as not adding bulk, slip sts won't add much but will add some.  the only thing i know of that would add somewhat less bulk is this trick  I learned form Japanese patterns.  at the end of the row you fasten off that last stitch without cutting the yarn:  take the last loop off the hook, enlarge the loop until you can pass the yarn ball through it, put the ball thru the loop and cinch the loop down just like you do when you are ending off after cutting the yarn.  lay the yarn strand along the top of the 4 sts you are skipping, then where you want the first st of the new row, sl st and chain up to start the new row.  again, you never cut the yarn, it;s a neat trick!   if you are going to be sewing in sleeves later on, you;ll have to be careful to enclose that short bit of yarn in the seam.  if it's sleeveless i probably wouldn't do this as i wouldn't want the loose yarn at the visible edge of the armhole.  

let me know if that description of how to do it doesn't make sense!  

Thanks Kathy! I'll give that a try.  I was trying not to add any thickness to one side vs the other, but I don't know if I have much of a choice other than inserting new yarn which would end up with added thickness with weaved ends anyway. Thank again!!

39 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

you're welcome 🙂    as far as not adding bulk, slip sts won't add much but will add some.  the only thing i know of that would add somewhat less bulk is this trick  I learned form Japanese patterns.  at the end of the row you fasten off that last stitch without cutting the yarn:  take the last loop off the hook, enlarge the loop until you can pass the yarn ball through it, put the ball thru the loop and cinch the loop down just like you do when you are ending off after cutting the yarn.  lay the yarn strand along the top of the 4 sts you are skipping, then where you want the first st of the new row, sl st and chain up to start the new row.  again, you never cut the yarn, it;s a neat trick!   if you are going to be sewing in sleeves later on, you;ll have to be careful to enclose that short bit of yarn in the seam.  if it's sleeveless i probably wouldn't do this as i wouldn't want the loose yarn at the visible edge of the armhole.  

let me know if that description of how to do it doesn't make sense!  

Kathy!!! This kind of trick was exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you SO much. I have so many projects that this would work for and in the end would give it a much cleaner look. I'm SO excited now. Lol. Thank you SO much!!!

Glad you all like it!  I think it's quite cool.  if anyone's interested in seeing it in a pattern, here's one example of how they represent it, it's just an arrow

http://gosyo.co.jp/english/pattern/eHTML/ePDF/1007/3a/28-6_Sleeveless_Cardigan_Vest.pdf    it's on the shoulders of chart 1.  (all the Pierrot patterns w/ English text can be accessed from this page http://gosyo.co.jp/english/index.html#top  this one is under Vest)

Granny Square, good idea for sc around a sleeveless armhole!