Pattern problems

Jinkies83

Question

Hi,

I want to make a king sized blanket with a specific image for my husband. I input the pattern into stitchfiddle and watched a ton of how to videos in how to work the site,my question. Which might seem slightly dumb is , I feel like it’s going to have me crochet a giant image instead of a proper blanket. Does anyone know how to start a king sized blanket from single crochet? Does anyone know where I can get a pattern made? If that’s easier. This is the first time I’m doing something like this. Thanks in advance for the help! 

1 answer to this question

I've never used stitchfiddle, but I have used another site http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by "it's going to have me crochet a giant image instead of a 'proper blanket'?"  I didn't explore Stitchfiddle (it looked like you needed to sign up?), but if you can you adjust the number of pixels in the output, this should solve your problem.

https://www.americanblanketcompany.com/how-to-size-blankets-for-your-bed-s/11965.htm  This says a King mattress top is 78x80", and a blanket is 108x88, or more if the mattress is deeper than 10".  If I were designing a blanket, I'd want a design to be in the middle of where the blanket would sit on the bed, and be in the neighborhood of 48-60" square-ish, probably (4'x5').  You might want to take a yardstick to your bed and figure out what numbers you think will work, since my design-eye and yours may not jibe. 

So, the image you generate doesn't have to cover all the pixels in the blanket, just the image.  The rest will be plain stitches, presumably; you probably won't want to distract from the image.

Next step, grab the hook and same sort of yarn you want to use for the blanket and make a swatch.  Figure out your gauge.  Making up easy-math numbers (which are sort of close to my gauge with an I hook and RHSS, so might be in your ballpark): if you make a gauge swatch and measure 20 stitches across 4", that's 60 sts. to 1 foot.  So 4' x 5' would be 240 stitches by 300 stitches.  How many stitches did Stitch Fiddle give you for your image?  And what's your gauge?  If they gave you a stitch count in the thousands, if you have an image editing program, change the image to make the 'canvas size' bigger or reduce the size of the image within the canvas--this will leave your image with more white space around it, so you can ignore the white pixels and tinker with it (you may have to give this a couple of tries) to get the number of pixels of your image to be close to the number you want them to be.  I hope this makes sense.

Edit, this is what I meant by adding white space.  Say the boxes are both 1000 pixels across, making the canvas bigger or image smaller reduces the number of pixels in the image

white space.jpg

Edited by Granny Square