Patter Instruction

Doreen Rose

Hello- I have started up crocheting again. I've made a couple of easy things and now I am graduating up a little. Can someone please explain what the following pattern instruction means? I am making a table runner and I just finished the spaces. Now it is giving me instructions on how to crochet within the spaces but I don't understand this part.  (1 dc in next dc, ch 1 space, dc, ch 1 space & dc) 

Thank You~ Doreen

Edited by Doreen Rose

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!  

I'm reading this as:  make 1 dc into each of the following 6 places you can make a stitch into or around, whether they they are dcs or chain spaces.  In other words: 1 dc in next dc, 1 dc in next ch space, 1 dc in next dc, 1 dc in next ch space, 1 dc in next dc.

Edited by Granny Square

So a V stitch variation.   That makes sense, but I'm looking down my nose a bit at the way the pattern was written.

I was  focusing on the words "chain space'.  I've never seen "make a chain space" (how many chains?), only "do something in a chain space" (which doesn't need to specify the # of chains in the row below to be worked over).  If they wanted you to 'chain 1', they should have said so (and ch1 would have been less typing); a chain space can be any number of chains, but "do something in the next chain space" would need to say 'chain space', which is why I went the way I did.

HOWEVER, the parentheses makes more sense in your interpretation, which signals 'do all this stuff in 1 stitch or spot'.  I was weighing the ( ) with 'chain space', the way I was reading it they couldn't both be right so decided to toss the ( ) and assume chain space MEANT chain space, not ch 1.  

OP, can you spot this area of the instruction in the pattern photo?  This has helped me clear up many questions on my own projects.  Should be easy to spot a row of 3 DCs into 1 stitch, with chains between.

GrannySquare (hi there!)  I agree with what you said in the first place.  I think it does mean to do a dc into each of those spots, and to me the ( ) enclosing it makes sense in that way.  

Doreen, can you tell us what the pattern is named and where you found it?  and welcome to the ville 🙂