Sunshine jumper pattern

Cheryl57

Question

I am making the sunshine jumper pattern from simply crochet magazine.  I have the front and back finished but am very confused on the sleeve instructions.  The instructions day to check 66 and as to top and fasten off.  Then as to last stitch from body.  Understand this part.  Then it says my Dr in 4 stitch .com hook. He in next 64 chs, skip 3 st s (3 tr, Chandler 3, 3 tr) in next trip  for in next trip he next trip rep 4 more times then do the rep one more then tr in next 15 cuz turn  this gives 162 tr   I know this magazine uses British terminology so I know it is dc  i just can not figure out how this sleeve is suppose to be done. Any help would really be appreciated. The sweater is for my daughter. Thank you

2 answers to this question

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunshine-jumper-2  so we can see what it looks like.

I think your spellcheck took control and did some strange things, I can't make heads or tails of it.  'Check', 'my DR' '.com', 'Chandler', 'trip'. 'cuz', 'He'.  

It appears to be 2 T shapes, probably identical since it's oversized there's no need for shaping.  I can see a side seam in the second photo in the Ravelry link which probably goes from hem to wrist.

So the hem up to the armpits apparently makes sense, and you are stuck on how to do the part that 'sticks out' from that for the sleeves.  

Guessing that 'check' means 'chain', I'm assuming that each sleeve sticks 64 stitches out from the body, including the turning chain since it says 'chain 66, fasten off',

Like I said, what you typed makes no sense, so I'm going to give you a general recipe.  There are 2 ways to make a T shaped top where the sleeves are in line across from each other (there's a third way where 1 sleeve is 1 row higher than the other, which I won't go into).  One way has you fastening off and chaining, one has you making a row of foundation stitches.

1) Fasten off and chain foundation method:  Fasten off the row BEFORE the last row of the body.  With the now disconnected yarn, chain 66, turn, US DC in the 4th chain from hook, work across the chain and keep going across the body when the chain runs out, chain 66, turn.  So now you have a chain foundation for the sleeve, sticking out from each end of the body.  Turn, work across foundation chain, body, foundation chain, and keep going back and forth until you get to the shoulders, then do whatever it says to make the lacy shoulder connection.

2) Don't fasten off, use foundation stitches method:  After the LAST row of the body, chain 66, turn, US DC in the 4th chain from the hook, work across the chain across the sleeve and body, then make 64 FDC (foundation DCs) 'in the air'.  Turn, now you are working across sleeve, body, sleeve.  This works for plain stitches as this appears to be, but wouldn't work if there were some sort of lacy stitch pattern in this row.

Edited by Granny Square