Choosing Yarn colour

BSadegur

Question

Hello all....this is my first entry....

So I’m an absolute beginner at crocheting...I’ve been busy with small creations.  Amigurumis.  Currently working on a bat for Halloween.... this is done in black yarn....so hard to see the stitches.  Anybody have any suggestions in working with black yarn??  Would appreciate any thoughts...??  Thanx.

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I have the same trouble.  All I can say is, make sure you have good lighting, and then some. I have not personally tried one, but others have said OTT lights help quite a bit.  I have a couple of accessory lights that I sometimes add to the usual lamp on the end-table next to me; I have one of those lights on a strap that's meant to go around your head, which I put around my neck; it swivels so you can aim it where you need it; sometimes I use a goose neck desk lamp on the side table, one of those whose shade is shaped like a cone, pointed on my work in addition to the end-table lamp.  Also, even if you don't otherwise need them, drug store reading glasses' magnification helps; I wear glasses (bifocals) and put the readers on over them (looks silly but it works).

I have used the lite hooks for black yarn.  But being a newbie, you may not want to go with them.  I have a pole lamp behind me.  When I work with black, sometimes, I will turn it one.  It is over my shoulder and lights up the yarn perfectly.

First post, Welcome to Crochetville.

I also use the lighted hooks with black yarn.  They work pretty well.  I also have a "head lamp" that has elastic on it, that fits on your head, like Granny Square mentioned that also works pretty well.  AND--I avoid working with black as much as possible!!!😉  Good Luck!  And mainly--HAVE FUN!!