Inline vs. Tapered Hook

Libits2

Question

Hi everyone!  I’m curious how many of you prefer an inline to a tapered hook.  The inline hook seems to not quite grab the yarn as easily as a tapered hook but it seems to not split the yarn as easily as a tapered hook does.  The yarn for my current project splits easily so depending on the stitch, I find myself switching between the two.

Does anyone else routinely switch hooks or do I just need more practice with the inline hook?

5 answers to this question

This is an interesting subject.  A lot of crocheters, including me, are fans of one style and consider the other style heresy (kidding, sort of).

I am a tapered hook fan ('Boye' style, not 'Bates' style).  My theory is that people learn on one style or the other and then "can't use" the other style, not that one is better or worse than the other.  Pre-internet I bought an in-line hook without giving the style a thought, because I was missing a size in my collection, and just.could.not.use.it.  For every one of 'me' there will be an in-line hook fan out there somewhere saying bad things about tapered hooks.  (Google 'Bates versus Boye' or 'inline versus tapered', lots of discussion out there.)

Your findings are interesting, I found the I couldn't 'grab' the yarn as well with the inline, which caused splitting because sometimes I'd grab half the yarn strand in my flailing with the hook.  Whatever works for you, but you are the first person I've encountered that switches between them (sounds inconvenient, but if it works...)

I was an avid crocheter but dropped out for approximately 20 years until I unearthed my old Boye crochet hooks.  I was surprised to see all the new hooks on the market.  The garden variety Boye works for me.  They're not fancy but they've spawned some really great afghans.

I don’t find it inconvenient switching between the hooks at all.  My language is much cleaner when I do.  For example, when doing a front loop only reverse single crochet (used to be called the Knurl stitch), I found that the inline hook didn’t split the yarn at all.  However, when I had to work the unworked loop, the inline made me crazy so I switched to the tapered.

After my 20 year hiatus, I had no idea there were discussions about the different hooks so thanks for the info.  It sounds like the kind of discussion between quilters:  to pre-wash fabric or not.  It can get pretty interesting! 

Edited by Libits2

I learned to crochet on Boye, but when I tried Bates several years back that's the hook I prefer and dislike Boye, now.  The length is perfect as well, I have large hands and I hold the hook in what some call the knife-hold.  Wonderful to have choices so everybody can use what works best for them. 🙂 I also have a set KP wood hooks with an inline hook design.  Sometimes, I switch to them depending on the yarn.

In the beginning I didn't really notice the difference.  As I got better I found Bates just worked better and eventually moved to the Bates Bamboo with the larger handles.  I've gone back to Boye occasionally when I've been some place and someone has asked for assistance and it's not like I can't use them it's just not as comfortable.