Yarn counter?

Tampa Doll

I am looking for a gadget that will count the length of yarn.  I need some balls of 50 yards and I am looking for an easier way to do it that with a ruler.  I have found some counters, but when you read about them, they are either for fishing line or they break after 2 uses.  I am not going to pay $24.00 that I can only use twice.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on where I can find one or what it is called?  Maybe that will help me find one.

Shoot the ones for fishing line go as low as $10.00.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just a thought, use a table top, measure it then tape one end of the yarn to the edge, say its 36 inches long and measure like they  measure fabrics at the fabric counter, that might work faster,, or wrap it,  least you know one wrap is about 2 yards that way give or take lol  i use my small craft table as it is just short by a couple inches of 36 so i just add another length or two, and that is close enough lol  

Edited by katyallen8090

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 9:46 AM, Tampa Doll said:

I am looking for a gadget that will count the length of yarn.  I need some balls of 50 yards and I am looking for an easier way to do it that with a ruler.  I have found some counters, but when you read about them, they are either for fishing line or they break after 2 uses.  I am not going to pay $24.00 that I can only use twice.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on where I can find one or what it is called?  Maybe that will help me find one.

Shoot the ones for fishing line go as low as $10.00.

if you use a mini knitty knoddy you can measure out how long one wrap is and figure out how many wraps you need for 50 yards.  Also going by weight you can measure out one 50 yard ball and weigh it and then check the weight of the next balls until you get the right amount.  I have done both ways when making sock yarn minis.  I have a yarn counter too and it works but it's finicky.  I only use it to measure the length of my handspun because the other two methods won't work well for my uneven yarn.

• Like 1

I would glue together couple pieces of strong card boards ( 18" long). Wrap them in Duck tape. Duck tape would make them not only stronger but you would be able to slide that yarn off a lot easier. Yes you would need to count each wrap around = 1 yard.

I think that tape on a table would be a better idea. That is how I "mark" deco-mesh  to make even poofs on wreaths :). On the other hand I use a board to wrap around my ribbons to cut ribbon tails even, so they would be the same length. 

I guess there are a different ways for different things..

Krys

• 5 months later...

I know that you said that you gave up but I figured that maybe you could use this article in the future. I saved on Pinterest because it helps to find out how much yarn it could take when you're designing your own pattern or using up your stash. :)  I bought a kitchen food scale in keep it in my craft room.

https://www.interweave.com/article/knitting/determining-yarn-yardage-from-an-unlabeled-skein/?utm_content=buffer57f32&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=kd-buffer-pt

• Thanks 1