Help With Row 3

Penny1029

Question

Hello! I'm trying to make a blanket for my sister's baby, and fell in love with this Victorian-inspired, out of print pattern. I'm self taught, but I'm not exactly a novice at crochet and know how to read a pattern - I'm just not sure what to do about row 3, though. I feel like I'm not doing it quite right, because they're asking me to jump quite a lot of chains.

Ch 157

Row 1: Work Crown St (ch7, sc) 3 times in the same st in twelfth ch from the hook, ch 4, skip next 4 cos, dc in next ch, *ch 4, skip next 4 cos, work Crown st in next ch, ch 4, skip next 4 cos, dc in next ch; repeat from * across: 15 Crown sts.

Row 2 (right side): Ch 1, turn; sc in first dc, ch 1, skip next ch-4 sp, sc in next loop, (ch 3, sc in next loop) twice, ch 1, * skip next ch-4 sp, sc in next dc, ch 1 skip next ch-4 sp, sc in next loop, (ch 3, sc in next loop) twice, ch: repeat from * across to last loop, skip next 4 ch s, sc in next ch: 61 sc

Row 3: Ch 8, turn; (sc, ch 7, sc) in first sc, ch 4, skip next ch-3 sp, dc in next sc, ch 4, * skip next sc, work Crown St in next sc, ch 4, skip next ch-3 sp, dc in next sc, ch 4; repeat from * across to last 2 sc, skip next sc, (sc, ch 7, sc, ch 3, tr) in last sc: 14 Crown Sts.

Edited by Penny1029

4 answers to this question

Hi Penny1029, and welcome to the 'ville!

I saw your post earlier today but was running off and couldn't comment at that time; there was a photo attached, which you've removed so I can't study it closer now.  The photo looked perfectly fine to me, and yes there were a lot of chain loops and skipped initial chains but that's not uncommon on lacy patterns.  If this is a blanket, did it have an edging? That could mitigate the gaps a bit.

In row 1, is cos supposed to be chains, or something else?  I will see what I get swatching this, I'll be back...

Started with a sc in the 12th chain.  I'm assuming the beginning loop of 12 chains is 4 skipped stitches, a DC, and 4 chains (the part between the crown stitches), so the SC I made, that isn't mentioned here, has to be the initial anchor of each crown stitch.  So the description for a crown stitch should include that initial SC (otherwise it's chain 4 after the DC, nothing, chain 7....

I made a shorter chain than the one called for, and was able to get 3 crowns on the first row, and 3 crowns on the second, but in the configuration of half crown (2 loops), crown, crown, half crown (2 loops).  This is not an unusual way to see stitch patterns laid out, with every odd row offset and centered between even rows.

Even though you are skipping a lot of sets of 7 chains, the chains are mostly vertical, so ^ not ------- , if that makes sense,  You are making fewer chains between them than the chains are, but the horizontal distance is comparable.  Except for that missing sc that I had to put in there to start the crowns, this seems to be working out.  My sample curves, but I imagine a bigger blanket would behave better.

Working to get a pic that doesn't look like a blob, I think I'll have to pin it out - back soon.  Here's the blob.

scan0028.jpg

Thank you so much for all your effort! I took the pictures down because I realized what my mistake was: I ignored the 61 sc at the end of the row and was counting all the stitches rather than realize when the pattern said single crochet it was the space from the previous dc not all the chains! After two more tries I finally got it and I'm thrilled to see it looks just like yours so I know I must be getting it right now! 

68956358_526472791438956_8489943204978753536_n.jpg