stupid question

Feywalker

Okay, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I was wondering if koolaid dyeing works on wool/acrilic blends. I so don't have wool here, but I have woolese (Lionbrand) and by the time anything could be ordered and shipped here I'd be packed up to leave. But my Grandma loves funky socks and I really wanted to make her some for Christmas. Sorry about the stupid question.

Kassi

I saw somewhere someone had dyed a blended yarn [of course, I can't find it or remember the makeup but I'm pretty sure it was a 50/50 wool acrylic blend] and the wool took the Kool-Aid while the acrylic remained uncolored. It produced a really neat effect, I remember being very impressed with the finished product.

But - I really don't think that it will work for Wool-Ease as that has very little actual wool in it.

KA works very well for all sorts of blends, as long as they have enough of the protein fibers. If the protein and synthetic are wound together, you'll get a two-color effect. If they're actually spun together, it will be more blended, but not exactly the same as if you were dying just one type of fiber. Experimenting to see how it comes out is part of the fun.

I usually keep a KA mixture handy for testing. I sometimes cut short lengths from several unidentified yarns (I recycle a lot), and dye them together. That will give me clues about the fiber content, and what they will look like. That way, I don't risk ruining a whole batch of yarn.

Archived