Sign in to follow this  
StarTrick

Dc18 Dc5 ect Help!

Question

Okay.. so basically I’m stuck on a pattern.. I’ve been trying to figure this out for AGES and I can’t find ANYTHING on what it means.. so apparently dc2 means to crochet 2 into the same stitch, but like dc18 or dc12 or Dc5 mean like something else? I’m really confused.. because I’m pretty sure I’m not meant to crochet 18 stitches into the SAME STITCH? Please help someone! I just need a basic simple answer. Thanks! ~Zoe

2 answers to this question

dc2 generally means dc in next 2 sts.  dc18 = dc in next 18 sts, etc  2dc generally means 2 dc in next st or however many times to repeat.  

Mmm, I disagree; these days with self published patterns as well as multilingual designers, 2 dc and dc 2 by themselves both mean 1 dc in each of the next 2 stitches.  The default is to not assume you are to cram more than 1 stitch into 1 stitch unless the designer specifically tells you so, and where, as in 'dc 2 (or 2 dc) in the next stitch' for example.

If 2 dc into 1 happened a lot, or even 18 into 1 (which is a ginormous shell and unusual, but not impossible, and really obvious if there is a good pattern photo), in a well written pattern the designer would have likely defined these compound stitches and given them names and used the names instead (example 2 dc into 1="dc inc in the next stitch", 18 into 1="shell in the next stitch" -- and there would probably be skipped stitches on either side of the latter).  If not just for clarity, less typing for the designer.  

A  double check on what was meant versus your interpretation will be whether you have zero, too many or too few 'leftover' stitches at the end.  If you have used stitch diagrams, diagramming the row in question would also work to answer the question.