Hello all 🙂 Advice needed!

CrochetClaire

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask for some advice as I’m wanting to do some craft stalls this winter season and wondered if anyone could offer guidance on popular items you have sold and how to appropriately price things. I’m a complete amateur but really want to give it a go!! All and any help much appreciated xxx

Edited by CrochetClaire

Hi  Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

I know nothing about selling stuff.  I am sure you will get some help in that direction.  You could try some of the CAL's  like Encouragement and Granny square to name a couple.

Edited by Tampa Doll

:welcome to the 'ville.  I am so glad you decided to join us.  We love seeing photos and hearing about everyone's projects (even non crochet projects)!  I love the inspiration, encouragement and motivation that I have received from fellow members here.  I hope you will join in on the chatter in the CAL's so we get to know you better. 

I have no experience in selling crafts either.  

Welcome to the 'ville!  And the only advice I can think of is hold off making anything (except something you might want for yourself) and first going to some craft fairs in your to check out your "market".  I've never sold anything, but from reading many posts here over the years, most customers expect to pay less for a "home made" item than the cost of a similar machine-made thing at Walmart; they don't understand that 1 skein of yarn isn't enough for a king sized blanket, and that it takes dozens of hours to make one stitch by stitch.

Sorry to be so negative...in my area, crochet items at fairs are priced so low I can't imagine them recouping much more than the cost of the yarn, and the $$ they have to pay for a table to set up at the venue.  

Hi!  My club and I have been selling our crochet for about 7 years.  The first thing we did was to check online (such as eBay) and see what similar items were selling for there.  We also went to some local craft shows and checked the prices there, then signed up for a local craft show, and just tried to price similar items with what everyone else was pricing their wares.  We still keep an eye on other  crochet booths where ever we go.

Just don't expect to sell anything much higher than half again the amount you have in your materials.  We just try to get a little more than what we put into our crochet items--we just sell them to make enough money to replace the yarn used--plus a little extra, because all our profit goes to charities.  We're all retired, love to crochet, and have plenty of time to do it!

The main idea is: Just have fun!!!

Hello and Welcome! :clap

You are getting good  info/advice here about selling crochet items.

I only crochet for gifts to my family & couple very close friends. 

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

Baby dresses sell well for the cost of making them. Usually you can make one with 1-2 skeins and a few days work. Crochetgarden.com has the most beautiful ones I have ever seen or made, I sold them for around 20.00 a piece. Good luck!

Edited by richsgirl

• 2 weeks later...