Interpreting an old pattern

Northstar

Question

I've been trying to follow this old pattern for a crochet lace edging. I usually don't have trouble reading patterns, but when I follow the shorthand to the T, I get a crochet piece that just doesn't look right at all.

Here's the pattern:

No. 1876

Ch 18, d c in 6th st from hook, ch 3, d c in same space, ch 2, * skip 3 sts, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next st, repeat from * ch 4, turn.
2nd Row. 3 d c with ch 3 between in first loop, skip the 2 ch, 4 d c with ch 3 between in next 3 ch loop, skip next 2 ch loop, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next loop, ch 2, s c in same space, ch 2, 2 d c with ch 3 between in same loop, ch 2, d c in 3rd st of ch, ch 5, turn.
3rd Row. Skip the 2 chs, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next loop, ch 2, skip the next d c, s c and d c, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next loop, * ch 2, 2 d c with ch 3 between in center loop of 4 d c shell, repeat from * ch 4, turn.
4th Row. 3 d c with ch 3 between in 1st loop, * 4 d c with ch 3 between in next 3 ch loop, repeat from *, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next 3 ch loop, ch 2, s c in same loop, ch 2, 2 d c with ch 3 between in same loop, ch 2, d c in 3rd st of ch 5, ch 5, turn.
5th Row. Same as 3rd row having 5—2 d c shells in row, ch 4, turn.
6th Row. Same as 4th row having 5 shells across row, ch 5, turn.
7th Row. Same as 5th row having 6—2 d c shells in row, ch 4, turn.
8th Row. Same as 6th row having 6 shells across row, ch 5, turn.
9th Row. 2 d c with ch 3 between in 3 ch loop, ch 2, skip the next d c, s c, d c, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next loop, * ch 2, 2 d c with ch 3 between in center loop of next 4 d c, repeat from * ch 4, turn and repeat from 4th row for length desired.

The first row, I have no issue with. The end of the second row is where it loses me, where I highlighted it in red. How I read it is 2 double crochets in the chain 3 space (next loop), with a chain 3 between them, then chain 2, single crochet into that same chain 3 space, chain 2 and another 2 doubles spaced with a chain 3 all in that one space. Plus then you're suppose to double crochet into the 3rd stitch of the chain? It's too crowded. It ends up creating a very bunched up shell compared to the previous one, and leaves a weird hanging bit after the turn for row three. The pink and green crochet is the result I just described.

I've tried changing which chain spaces I put the stitches in thinking maybe I'm just unfamiliar with how the author refers to their chain spaces and I'm misunderstanding, but nothing seems to work, and the same issue arises again in row 4 so I don't think it's a typo. The more I try to rethink what the pattern is referring to the more confused I get, so I was hoping someone with fresh eyes on it might have some insight.

For reference, the black and white photo is what the finished product should look like.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

lace.JPG

pink lace.jpg

4 answers to this question

ok I just worked row 1 and 2.  

2.  dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc  (first loop) skip the 2 sts.  [dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc] repeat in next 3chain loops.  Skip ch2 loop.  In next loop, dc, ch3, dc, ch2, sc, ch2, dc, ch3, dc, ch2; dc in 3rd chain of row 1 (your starting chain).  ch 5, turn.

1 hour ago, Northstar said:

2nd Row. 3 d c with ch 3 between in first loop, skip the 2 ch, 4 d c with ch 3 between in next 3 ch loop, skip next 2 ch loop, 2 d c with ch 3 between in next loop, ch 2, s c in same space, ch 2, 2 d c with ch 3 between in same loop, ch 2, d c in 3rd st of ch, ch 5, turn.

100_0665.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCcountrygal said:

ok I just worked row 1 and 2.  

2.  dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc  (first loop) skip the 2 sts.  [dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc] repeat in next 3chain loops.  Skip ch2 loop.  In next loop, dc, ch3, dc, ch2, sc, ch2, dc, ch3, dc, ch2; dc in 3rd chain of row 1 (your starting chain).  ch 5, turn.

100_0665.JPG

Mine looks likes this too.

• Like 1