Sign in to follow this  
CrochetRenee14

Increasing in the round for flared and flowing skirt

Question

Hello, what is the increase rule to accomplish a skirt that is flared and flowing? Do I increase evenly all the way around? For example inc dc2tog (1 stitch) Every ten stitches

3 answers to this question

I guess that depends on how much flare and flow.  BTW DC2TOG combines 2 stitches into 1 and is a decrease, I think you meant 2DC in 1 stitch.

The recipe for a flat circle in DC is to add 12 stitches each round, evenly spaced.  A true circle skirt is probably more ruffly than you want, but that gives you a starting point.

This won't demonstrate the drape of a flat circle, but you could grab some scrap paper and draw around a round saucer if you don't have a compass, and cut it out.  Fold the circle in quarters, and cut out a bit of the center for a 'waistline' opening.  Unfold it, and cut a slit up one of the fold lines, and form the circle into a cone until it looks about what you think the shape should be.  Mark the overlap line, flatten it out and estimate the % of the total the removed (overlap) part and therefore the % of stitches to take away from 12 increases per round (example, if you want to take away one quarter of the total, one quarter of 12 is 3 stitches so you'd want to increase by 9 each round not 12).

On 8/13/2019 at 8:40 PM, CrochetRenee14 said:

Hello, what is the increase rule to accomplish a skirt that is flared and flowing? Do I increase evenly all the way around? For example inc dc2tog (1 stitch) Every ten stitches

I just found a pattern I used some years back that I bought then altered as I used perle 5 cotton thread.  It makes a lovely skirt in a clever design that I have used in making hats too.  Using simple sts up and down the row.    Take a look.  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gallivant

Cute pattern, and good point on yarn/thread weight; the pattern links calls for fingering, anything much heavier won't be 'flared and flowing'.