Substituting yarn in a pattern

Ella-mae

Question

Hi, I'm fairly new to crochet and am considering this cocoon project. The pattern looks fairly simple, but I would like to substitute the Caron X Pantone yarn for the suggested alternative Caron Simply Soft yarn. Is it as simple as substituting the yarn and crocheting as per pattern, or will I need to amend the pattern? Tia for any info you can give :)

https://bellacococrochet.com/crochet-cocoon/

2 answers to this question

At first I was surprised the pattern suggests 2 different weight yarns, but this pattern is jut 4 granny squares (plus edging) so if your gauge is too small you can just add a few rounds until you get the measurement needed for your size.

One consideration is the yardage.  The pattern calls out skeins of pantone, you'd need to do the math on the yardage needed for the # of skeins for Simply Soft for your size.  Always round up, I've needed to break into that 'extra' ball even if the skein math says I needed 4.01 skeins, and one would think that the pattern didn't use 100% of the other size skeins. If you have leftovers, make a matching hat!  

Pantone = Ball/Skein Size: 100g/3.5 oz, 116 meters / 127 yards (20g/0.7 oz, 23.2 meters / 25.4 yards per small ball)

SS=Ball Size: 170 g / 6 oz, 288 meters / 315 yards, so you'd need fewer skeins of the Simply Soft.

• Thanks 1