Help - Pull-Through Scarf Pattern

foxyjazzy

Question

Hello Crochetville,

I'm about to finish my very first scarf, but this last few rows got me stuck.. So, appreciate your help and input on this :D.

Source: https://www.ilikecrochet.com/crochet-scarf-patterns/cobalt-dreams-scarf/

Cobalt-Dreams-Scarf.jpg

Cobalt-Dreams-Scarf-1.jpg

SPECIAL STITCHES
V Stitch: (dc, ch 2, dc) in same st
Sh: (dc, ch 2, V) in same st.

PATTERN NOTES
This scarf is worked all in one piece. The pattern starts with a long rectangle of ribbing. The short ends of the rectangle are connected with single crochet stitches to form a loop. From there, the body and ruffle of the scarf are worked flat.

PATTERN
Ch 26.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, sc in each ch across.
Rows 2-13: Ch 1, turn, sc in BLO of each st across. Repeat 12 times.
Row 14: Fold the short ends of the rectangle together and sc in each row to join.
Row 15: Ch 3, turn, dc 3 in same st, dc 2 in next 11 sts, dc 3 in last st.
Rows 16-55: Ch 3, turn, dc in each st across. Repeat 40 times.
Row 56: (Ch 4, turn, V) in first st (counts as sh), (sk 2 sts, sh in next st) 8 times, sh in last st.
Row 57: (Ch 4, turn, dc) in first st (counts as V), sc in next dc, (sh in sc, sc in second dc of sh) across, V in third starting ch of last row.
Rows 58-63: Repeat rows 6-7 3 times.
Row 64: Ch 1, sc, (ch 3, sc in second dc of next sh, ch 3, sc in next sc) across. Finish off.

What got me stuck:

1. I'm in row 57, in this "...(sh in sc, sc in second dc of sh) across," does this mean I have to crochet SH on top of SC? I've tried to do it, but it seems like quite hard since the hole is so small.
  2. Still in row 57, "V in third starting ch of last row," so in the pattern row 56 starts with CH 4, do I need to put my V stitch on the third CH of that CH 4?

Thanks a lot for the help! :D

1 answer to this question

Hi, and welcome to the 'ville!

Believe it or not, you can put a BUNCH of stitches into 1 stitch.  I think the max I've done was for a 15 DC shell.

When I was a new crocheter I made my stitches really tight, and realized I was forming the stitches right at the tip of the hook not around the shaft (I use tapered Boye-style hooks).  It's the shaft that 'sizes' the stitches, so I had to teach myself to form the stitches further back.  In reading this and other forums, even knitting ones, I think this is not uncommon for newbies.  Your 'sh' is only 3 DC (dc ch2 dc ch2 dc).  The chains are 'in the air' and aren't IN the sc. 

A segue to your tight stitches - did you do a gauge swatch?  You don't want to end up with a too-small scarf.  For this and most wearables, the more important gauge to hit is width, you can usually (not always, but for a scarf you can) add more rows if you have to.  Measure it now, is it 6" wide?