Pattern Instruction

asmoot0518

Question

Hi - I am new on this site.  I am a fairly new crocheter.  I have a question on a pattern I just received.  The pattern is from Lion Brand.  I understand what the parentheses mean but this one has me stump.  Could someone help me understand the instruction?

Working into the magic loop, ch 4(counts as 1 dc + 1 ch here and throughout), dc 2, ch 3, dc 2, ch 1, dc 1.  (6 dc, 2 ch-1 so, 1 ch-3 sp)

my question is what is in parentheses.  It doesn’t tell me what chain to put this cluster in.  

Help!

Ann

FA41C798-F467-40B5-AB9E-6174C88FC6D3.jpeg

Edited by asmoot0518
Added picture

9 answers to this question

.(6 dc, 2 ch-1 sp, 1 ch-3 sp)

This is your stitch count at the end of your row not more stitches for you to make.  When you finish row 1 you will have a total of 6 double crochets, 2 chain 1 spaces, and 1 chain 3 space.  (It tells you to count the first chain 4 as 1 double crochet plus 1 chain.)

• Like 1

You can do it!  We will help you through it.  It takes a bit of getting used to reading pattens and just when you think you've got it you come across one that throws you for a loop.  This pattern is nice in that it gives you the stitch count for each row at the end of each row. 

Edited by bgs
  • Confused 1

Thank you!  I so glad I found this site.  I’ve made five afghans so far and they weren’t to complicated.  I decided to try something else since I’ve made afghans for my husband, son and friend.

I'm sure you’ll be hearing from me again.

Super excited to start this project.

A. 

Oooh, interesting pattern.  The symbol pattern doesn't seem to show the whole shawl, tho, just the first 9 rows, but it's a good start.  Love that faux Latvian braid, it would have never occurred to me to do surface slip stitch in 2 colors.

OP, I agree with Bgs that you can do this, and do come back and ask questions if you get stuck.  The stitches themselves are not complicated, and the pattern appears to be written in a very clear manner. she explains what's going on, 'how to' in detail above and beyond most pattern designers I've seen.

Actually the braid is the ... not sure what adjective fits ... fiddliest? part, probably, and you can save that for last.  It is super easy in 1 color, I can see it being annoying in 2 colors (but not difficult).  I advise practicing it in 1 color for a couple of inches first, for the concept, which is: stick your hook in the fabric, pull up a loop from the source skein which is under the fabric, stick the hook in the next spot in the fabric, pull up a loop....that's it, I've just described 2 stitches, at the end of the row cut the yarn leaving about 6 inches, secure the last loop and weave the end securely .  Once you pull up the next loop on your hook in the new spot, the previous stitch, which is just a loop, is secured and done.  The...not difficult but disorienting part is that the source yarn is out of sight, underneath the fabric, which is no problem with 1 color, but I'm imagining the annoying part will be making sure you're grabbing the right color.  I'd put 1 color on your left side and the other on your right for better 'feel' finding.

• Like 1

Thank you!  There is actually three pages of rows to this project and a diagram on the fourth page of the stitches so that has really helped to follow easily.  Thanks your suggestions on the braid.

I have pulled out my work three different times so far but, I find that has helped me to understand the steps in the pattern.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.  I can’t wait to finish this project and to see the final project.

15 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

there's also a version of it that includes a nice graphic of the pattern using symbols for each stitch; does what you've printed include that?  if not here it is on the designer's site https://www.twoofwands.com/blog/fireside-wrap

Yes there is a page with symbols for each stitch and that has really helped.

15 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

there's also a version of it that includes a nice graphic of the pattern using symbols for each stitch; does what you've printed include that?  if not here it is on the designer's site https://www.twoofwands.com/blog/fireside-wrap

I love the link you provided it has so many more pics and visual instructions on the braid.