Round Ripple Afghan Row 5 Help Please

SherrieR57

Question

11 answers to this question

I have not made it. Is it a free pattern on the internet? If so you can share the link so we can look at the pattern.  If not you are allowed to post part of the pattern and not be in violation of copyright.  

Julee used to be an active member here but hasnt been around for a long time.

Once you get the first few rounds established, a round ripple is mostly just adding plain stitches between the hill stitch scheme and valley stitch scheme.

I'm seeing very specific stitch placement instructions in round 5, and round 5 is similar to round 4 EXCEPT I'm not seeing the abbreviation 'sk' anywhere before round 5, that's the only new term.  There should be an explanation of terms somewhere, it's usually at the beginning or end of a pattern and I'm not seeing it in your scan, so it may be at the very end of the pattern.  Or, if this is magazine or book, it might be in an appendix somewhere.  Sk usually means 'skip' and makes sense here.

If that's not it...99% of the time when I discover I've made an error in row x is while I'm doing row x+1 and come to that spot again and find I'm missing a stitch, or did x instead of y.  Look at your work in round 4 and compare it stitch by stitch to the instructions for row 4, does it match?  

Another thought, have you ever followed a diagrammed crochet pattern, in other words not written but just symbols?  Sometimes when I come to a complicated or problematic spot in a written I'll diagram it out, and in your pattern, where there are 9 points, it wouldn't be hard to just diagram 1 point's worth of stitches for a few rows.  I usually just use a vertical line | for DC, a dot . for a chain, and since your post stitches are all front posts, maybe just P.  The nice thing about diagrams is it 'sort of' looks like the stitches you'll be making, and it's easier to see what stitch goes into what stitch.

link to crochet stitch symbols https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/crochet-chart-symbols

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I agree with Granny Square in that this pattern is very specific in directions for stitch placement so much so its easy to get lost in the instructions.  Happens to me all the time.  Sometimes I have to rewrite a row or round breaking it down putting fewer instructions per line so I dont keep getting lost.

I also agree that when I have a problem in round 5 my mistake is usually back in round 4.   This pattern gives you the stitch count at the end of each round.  Is your stitch count correct at the end of round 4?

Another big problem I have is trying to figure out a pattern in my head. Sometimes it looks confusing and makes no sense but if I get my hook and yarn out and do exactly what the pattern says (not what I think it says) it works out just fine.  Just focus on doing one little step at a time.  This is where breaking the instructions down into smaller segments can help.

Then there is also a chance that there is an error in the pattern.  

Sometimes we can spot the problem when people show us a photo of their work.  

Good point about breaking down a lengthy line of complex directions, I do this all the time.  I like to make thread doilies, and they can get crazy complicated sometimes - not difficult necessarily, just very wordy.

I usually work from paper patterns / that I've printed from the internet / or my own hard copies of magazines or books / and often just draw a slash / between logical steps in the pattern / using a pencil slash / like I just did here.  (obviously don't do this in a library book!) 

I do the 'slash' trick more often than having to resort to diagramming, actually, and it a little less work than diagramming so try the slashes or rewriting first.

Edited by Granny Square