Sign in to follow this  
Libits2

Celtic Weave

Question

Goooooooood Sunday morning, everyone!  How many of you have worked the Celtic Weave pattern?  Wow.  I know I’m rusty after my 25 year hiatus but this stitch is a real bear to work.  I followed a Bonnie Barker video but gave up after the 2nd row.  Even using different yarn, it’s really bulky.

6 answers to this question

There are a lot of 'Celtic Weave' named patterns that look very similar to this hat pattern that I (finally) successfully made, after much muttering under my breath.

With all the crossing over it's bound to be bulky.  The above hat has pretty much zero stretch.

The pattern that I linked had both a symbol chart and written pattern.  I have made a pile of charted doily patterns with no problem, so I followed the chart but it wasn't coming out right  (and I knew it was in a particular row, but  couldn't figure out WHAT), then went back to the written pattern and realized I was reading 1 stitch in 1 row of the chart wrong.  It was a 4 row repeat as I recall, which normally I'd have no trouble memorizing but after that I made sure I reread every row as I went and circled the spot I messed up the first time.  Maybe a little overkill, but it worked.

It is not difficult, but it requires turning off your crochet autopilot.  

Its something I have admired but not tried.  

Edited by bgs

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

There are a lot of 'Celtic Weave' named patterns that look very similar to this hat pattern that I (finally) successfully made, after much muttering under my breath.

With all the crossing over it's bound to be bulky.  The above hat has pretty much zero stretch.

The pattern that I linked had both a symbol chart and written pattern.  I have made a pile of charted doily patterns with no problem, so I followed the chart but it wasn't coming out right  (and I knew it was in a particular row, but  couldn't figure out WHAT), then went back to the written pattern and realized I was reading 1 stitch in 1 row of the chart wrong.  It was a 4 row repeat as I recall, which normally I'd have no trouble memorizing but after that I made sure I reread every row as I went and circled the spot I messed up the first time.  Maybe a little overkill, but it worked.

It is not difficult, but it requires turning off your crochet autopilot.  

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said there's bound to be bulkiness with all the crossover.  I think I'll do the basket weave stitch instead.  I'll have fewer bald spots from tearing out my hair.  And I think there's something to be said for enjoying the stitch you're using.  I didn't enjoy the Celtic Weave but I really like my autopilot!

10 hours ago, bgs said:

Its something I have admired but not tried.  

From someone that's tried it, my advice is to just keep admiring it.

2 hours ago, Libits2 said:

From someone that's tried it, my advice is to just keep admiring it.

Sounds like great advice!