harold

Oval tablecloth: help required with starting chain

Question

I am trying my first oval tablecloth as a gift for my granddaughter. This is a chart pattern beginning with a chain section. I have no idea how to begin this one. Can anyone provide help?

yes, its an ambitious project, but i’m up to it once I get that centre chain  section under my belt.

Here it is......

877EBF17-B30C-4CD1-9C47-3B4E1BCCEA2F.thumb.jpeg.360b2ad119d1ebcb2296a7d7fed3e81b.jpeg

21 answers to this question

I am not terribly great at charts but this is what I am thinking.  Do you see the arrow in the section on the left?  This is your starting point and is chain #1.   Count those dots going clockwise. I am on my phone so its hard to see but I am getting 80 something.  Chain that many.  Slip stitch into the 19th chain from the end of your hook (my count may be off here too)

chain 7, skip next 7 chains and slip stitch in next chain --- do this sequence 6 times then chain 3 and join to chain #1.

On this chart I am not sure if what I called slip stitches are slip stitches or single crochets.  

The symbols arent exactly like what I find on 

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/crochet-chart-symbols

https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=708&type_id=S&scat_id=3

Do you have a photo of the finished product?  Maybe, I've seen it and there's more info on the pattern elsewhere.

Posted (edited)

Hello Harold, welcome to the 'ville!

I agree with Bgs, I think the | may not be a slip stitch based on other Russian charts I've followed, where I've seen it used to mean either a US SC or DC.

Comparing the | symbol to the photo in older Russian patterns that I've done, | was clearly DC.

But a more recent pattern on Ravelry had a 'key' in both Russian and US terms where it was SC (although this vertical line was a little shorter and slightly thicker the one in the older pattern). I don't recall seeing a US "x" symbol for SC in a Russian chart .  You should be able to tell by the pattern pic hopefully.  The more recent Russian pattern with English stitch key had a tiny T as a slip stitch, more in scale & proportion to a + without the top half of the vertical line.

If you are interested, *here is a link to the (free and legit) recent Russian pattern with US terms in the symbol key.  

Edited to add--I am guessing, and again the pattern photo is worth 1000 words, that the part labeled 'motyw' means 'same stuff as on the opposite side'.

*edit 2  to add link, I pushed the wrong button I guess https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seven-flower-petals

Edited by Granny Square

Granny Square to the rescue.  Thank you for the info.

Posted (edited)

Thank you ladies for answering my plea for help.

I think that I have managed to figure this out. Here is what I have come up with with size 1 cotton and my trusty #7 US hook. It contains the mystery chain centre plus round 1.  It seems to lie flat, so 

I am guessing it is somewhere close.

If anyone is interested, I will post what I did and how I came up with the result. Also the link for the chart for the tablecloth.

thanks again to all.

2B2EBFB1-9A7C-4D1E-9457-6124E2D016F5.jpeg

0BE4871C-E17E-44B8-AF8D-A85380D7EB13.jpeg

Edited by harold

Posted (edited)

EDIT:

have just noticed that the swatch is not symmetrical. I have always noted that there is usually some symmetry to crochet work. This is not. There seems to be a loop missing in the chain section. One more loop would be a total of nine loops with loop 5 being the central loop. Am I crazy or could there be an error in the chart? Wouldn't be the first time that I have been stopped cold in my tracks because of a pattern error that I had to figure out.

Further to this (but not so important), in R1, the beginning shells in loop 1 and loop 8 seem to consist of 3tc, ch3, 2 tc except for the first shell which is is a ch4 (for the 1st tc). Looking at the pattern, I don't suppose any harm would come of making all shells 3tc, ch 3, 3tc. Thats the way they continue in R2.

(see modified screenshot above)

Edited by harold
I believe there is a pattern error

Know what you mean about thread and stubby fingers!

I believe you are correct about an error in the pattern and that it needs another loop so that each half is a mirror image.  

Posted (edited)

Brenda

I have just addressed that issue and have posted a new image to show the extra loop. To me, it looks much better. Heres how I did it in text form and picture form

How I Did It

Base Chain

IMAGE 1

Ch 90. Dc in 16th ch from hook. (this is the 74th chain). This will make the 9th loop.

Ch 8, dc in 8th ch from the sc just made.

This makes the 8th loop

*Ch 8, dc in 8th ch from the sc just made*

This makes the 7th loop

Continue from * to* until there are 8 loops total. There should be 13 or 14 unused chains left on the tail end of the chain. If not, you can use the tail end thread to make or remove required sts.

Ch 3, join with ss to the last ch of the tail end of the base chain.* this makes the 1st loop.

Ref image 2

*You may need to adjust the no of unused chains so that when joined with the ss, the joining point must be slightly to the right of the centre of the upper chains. (this is the “x” on my drawing) 

IMAGE 1

90th chain and 16th ch from hook

<—-               V

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O .......... Upper chain

8th loop   | dc       9th loop     O 

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O ..........   Lower chain

——>             \      ——->

74th Ch

IMAGE 2

1st loop.                2nd loop.           3rd loop                 

O O O O O X O O O O O O O O O O O O ...........

O                          |                            |

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O ...........

Speaking of better, I had better remember exactly how I did this practice session because I have to recreate it in granddaughters favourite colour ...... pink!

will keep this updated as I go, or run into another roadblock.

what a great place this is! Love it!

79256A8A-9822-4821-9ADB-33F01A2B730A.jpeg

Edited by harold

That's a good catch!  I kept looking at that group of 9 trebles to the right of center, top row, and thinking something was off but just decided it was hand drawn and it just looked funny because maybe they ran out of paper and had to scrunch those stitches closer together than the ones on the left  :lol  Totally missed the rest of the stuff between them was missing.

The only other observation I have is that on the second round, you made SCs between the groups of trebles and I think they should have been DC per the chart.  Looks fine at this point, but not sure if this will affect the item laying flat with later rounds added.

Yes that looks so much better!  

Hi Granny Square..nice to meet you.

yes, its hard to predict how a modification to one round can affect other rounds. However, I have tackled some pretty difficult patterns and ended up ripping out three or four rounds to fix a problem. I am retired, have lots time (may not be my better half’s opinion) and as far as I know, Im not going anywhere. To make this better, I am persistent and not easily discouraged. FORWARD HO! I guess its another way of saying “ Damn those torpedos, full steam ahead!

Posted (edited)

I think that I have got it! Here is rounds 1 - 5 and no problems have reared their ugly heads ... so far. I think I could go with a #9 hook and may try that on my “for real” project. I need to quit the practice session as it is a lot of work and all chocked up to nothing more than testing. 

So...here is what I have done and it was a great learning experience.

88448508-E3B9-4ABD-AFB6-3630487C8892.jpeg

Edited by harold

By golly I think you've got it and are ready to roll.  Its gorgeous.  Be sure to keep us updated and please please show us when you are finished.  We love pictures.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, bgs. Yes I certainly will post “build” pictures. The remainder looks pretty straight forward and hopefully it will be ready for her for Christmas. In the meantime, I need to finish this one for my sister. Had hoped to present it to her end of August, but its 68” diameter for her 46” table. As you can see, it is fillet style and the pattern is called Giant Hibiscus.

3E1A617C-E6C7-46B6-A456-3D19BC17D3B2.jpeg

76F7B49B-83D2-4C07-87C7-A5331924365A.jpeg

Edited by harold
  • Like 1

Thats really pretty.  Looks like it might take awhile.  Lets see Christmas is just a little over 4 months away.

Your oval doily looks great and your tablecloth is gorgeous.  I really like that pattern, starting traditionally and morphing into filet.

Posted (edited)

It has been a headache at times. If something interrupts your thinking, it results in a mistake in the mesh. It usually is not noticeable till the next round and ..... YERK!!! You gotta rip out about 3\4 hrs of work.

Here is some of my other work but not all. Do you now believe that I love this hobby?

87D52F79-843F-4A3A-890D-F387CDF0F757.jpeg

One of my favourites - Enchanted Forrest

F81B58AC-C1C7-4719-81C6-0A1CDCB1D856.jpeg

63C01B84-EEE6-42E8-90D4-96606D262FD5.jpeg

73DD1006-3C44-4737-9F88-F007025B1B0A.jpeg

For my Nephews wedding about 12 years ago. It is 72”

FC9FC515-25F7-491F-A682-913450DD9CF0.jpeg

This was from a placemat pattern on a crochet cotton label. I simply made one master and joined all the rest by crocheting the last round of each to the master.

CD313FB1-A1E7-4521-9236-D067CA45606A.jpeg

For one of my other granddaughters to put away in her dowrey.

84538C31-A9D5-4C58-BF9B-1F5EFC44359D.jpeg

Have made three of these for family friends.

wish now that I had taken pictures of all my tablecloths. I think my first one was called Sunflower Field. All patterns came from the internet.

9591E35B-6850-42C6-8766-E13FDE10E4CE.png

Edited by harold

I'm a thready too, but have had to slow down due to several hand issues (getting older is not for sissies as they say).  Don't have the finger stamina any more for a tablecloth I'm afraid.

8 hours ago, bgs said:

Thats really pretty.  Looks like it might take awhile.  Lets see Christmas is just a little over 4 months away.

Lol..I have until Christmas to finish the oval one, not this one. This one I wanted to present to my Sister end of Aug. I don’t think I’m going to make that date.

40 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I'm a thready too, but have had to slow down due to several hand issues (getting older is not for sissies as they say).  Don't have the finger stamina any more for a tablecloth I'm afraid.

You are right...getting older kinda sucks. At 77, I am doing what I can right now. After a single bypass, repair to the mitral valve and finally a cardio version I consider myself very lucky to take a breath.

Those are amazing. Beautiful work.  I like little projects in thread but have no desire to tackle a tablecloth.