Crochet: Start with a circle and turn it into a square

jckrueger1

Question

3 answers to this question

The above tutorial is a start, but is explaining how to do it over 6 stitches per quarter circle BUT the OP has 60 stitches per quarter.  This isn't going to happen over just 1 round.

Caveat, I've never actually done this but I think I'd mark off the quarters as they did in the tutorial for a start.  Below is the easiest solution I can think of: 

Make 1 corner at a time, work between markers back and forth, turn each row, and make (probably?) 3 stitches into 1 on each side until it comes close to a point, and the last row might be something like a DC 6 together.  I am guessing on the # of edge decreases to keep it at a 90° angle, this decreases 2 stitches each side each row, you might have to adjust, measuring it against  (for example) a table to keep an eye on that angle.  A lot depends on your stitch height tension, and also what stitch you are using (I was imagining US DC, for SC it would probably work better with 2 sts into 1 at each end). 

If the ends want to curl, or as an alternative that may be squarer, spread out the increases (2 stitches into the end stitch, 2 stitches into the next stitch).  Remember for DC the turning chain counts as a stitch and is already a stitch "in" the first stitch, because you usually skip the first stitch; so if you are using DC and want to spread the increases, chain 3, turn, 1 DC in the first stitch, 2 DC in the second stitch.  Actually spreading them would also help so you don't have to put 3 stitches into the top of the turning chain of the prior row, as well...