Holey Arrows

Libits2

Question

Hi everyone!  New to the board but not sure I can be considered new to crocheting.  25 years ago, I made several afghans in what was known as Fisherman crochet at the time (maybe Aran crochet now?).  While recently cleaning out a closet, I unearthed a fairly large box with no idea of the contents.  Well, it was yarn I bought for an afghan for my daughter in 2008.  I remembered that I worked about 2” of it and didn’t like the stitch so I put it away but it awakened the crochet monster in me with a vengeance.

Wow, what a trip it’s been.  I had no problems remembering the basic stitches but stitches that gave me no problems in the early 90’s are now giving me fits as well as some new ones.  At 65, I momentarily thought I might be too old to pick this back up but I flushed that idea and forged ahead.

Below is a picture of a sample piece I’m working on so it’s far from perfect.  I’m concerned about the large holes in the arrow stitch.  Is it supposed to look this way?  Some pictures/videos I’ve seen have holes and some don’t.

Arrow holes.jpg

Edited by Libits2

7 answers to this question

It looks like the "holes" are supposed to be there. There are a few things you could try with this pattern...

1--Try a smaller hook; 2--Try a yarn like mercerized cotton, polyester or fingerling yarns made for babies., 3--Or try both.

The only way you'll ever find out the end results is by trying. Perhaps you'll find that after making this pattern over and over again, you'll find the "holes" will still be there, but may get bigger or smaller.

You have made a beautiful piece. Keep up the great work!

Excellent thoughts...maybe it IS supposed to look lacey.  I can't tell from the picture.  I have to use this yarn because I have 24 skeins of it but I'm going to keep on practicing and analyze exactly what the stitch pattern is when these holes are created.  Great forum!!  Glad I found you all!

Hi Libits, I just want to tell you---as I started reading, I thought your question was going to be that you couldn't remember how to make that stitch and wanted to recreate the holes.  I was thinking, I don't know but i sure would like to!  I think it looks pretty cool!