bgs

Heirloom Afghans

Posted (edited)

I neglected to share these and the story behind them here so better late than never.

After an aunt passed away a few years ago I inherited her yarn.  Dad had given her mom's yarn when she passed away 20+ years earlier.  When going through it I found 4 boxes, my name in one and my other 3 sisters names in the others.  Each box had about 40 squares in them including some our mom had made.  My other aunt had told me I would be finding these.  I could tell which ones my mom made and which ones my aunt made as my aunt was left handed. I checked to see if my sisters wanted their box of squares or if they wanted me to put them together.  You guessed it I got the job which is very ironic.  I think at this time I had maybe put one afghan together with granny squares and it wasnt something I liked doing.  

I started looking through the squares and some were falling apart because they had been knotted and ends clipped short. There was no point putting them together unless I could figure out what to do. I meticulously searched for every yarn join in each square, untied the knots, retied the knots so I had short ends which I then tacked firmly into place with sewing thread.  I was able to hide these ends in the stitches. 

Then the sister in the first picture wanted a much larger blanket than her squares would make.  I wanted them to be the same size and there was plenty of yarn in my aunts stash so I started making more squares.  My goal was to finish them by Christmas and I started running out of time so I grabbed squares from my box. I put them together using the flat braid square joining method.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flat-braid-joining-technique

or scroll down here

http://priscillascrochet.net/freepatterns.html

Things were going pretty well until I noticed I had one square back in the third row of the afghan in picture 2 wrong side up after putting all the squares together.  l had to take it apart and fix it.

This was Christmas day when they each got their afghan from mom, aunt, and me.  

post-11309-0-41376200-1405696460_thumb.jpgpost-11309-0-67089300-1405696601_thumb.jpgpost-11309-0-70540000-1405696752_thumb.jpg

Edited by bgs
  • Like 5

What a great gift and story to go along with them. 

They are something from your Mom and your Aunt and You.  They can be passed down and loved from generation to generation.

What a wonderful story!  :manyheart  Did you manage to get a blanket for yourself?

That's a great story! Definitely a huge labor of love on your part.

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

What a wonderful story!  :manyheart  Did you manage to get a blanket for yourself?

No I decided to use most of my squares in their blankets.  I wasnt fond of the colors and didnt want a blanket anywhere that big.  

Such a beautiful story and the afghans turned out so pretty. They are very special blankets indeed.

Those are beautiful afghans and such a great story to go with them.

Wow, what a fantastic story, Brenda! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. What amazing patience you had to search out and fix all those knots. What a lovely and generous gift of time—as well as the actual afghans—you’ve given your sisters. They turned out great! 

The story and the afghans are amazing! It's wonderful heritage 😍

Wow! Great story. You sisters look very happy with their gifts.

Wonderful story and you did an amazing job!

That's a huge amount of work. I don't care for piecing squares together either, and have avoided that ever since I did one afghan many years (decades!) ago. You did a good job and how lucky that all the yarn came to you... what do you think would have happened if it had gone to one of your sisters? ;)