Looking for a pattern like this.

CWC

Question

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and hoping somebody can point me in the right direction for this shawl.

Capture.PNG.d9dc77f2c069990296d2fb03bd9a148c.PNG

Capture4.PNG.10e4221b486d076c1e34d51808d62126.PNG

Capture5.PNG.55dcf1a9d50f72c1d91f8cc3df109b6f.PNG

Capture6.PNG.89e4beafa00c461f3822ea982ffa658b.PNG

This shawl was worn by Niamh Cusack, playing Beatrix Potter on the animated peter rabbit movies, and we really love the pattern but are having trouble finding anything like it. Does any one know what this stich is? or where we could find a pattern for a shawl like this? Is this crochet? or could this be a knitted shawl? Sorry the pictures are so blurry, they are screen shots from the DVDs and not very good resolution.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have looked everywhere, and not seen a similar pattern.

Thanks in advance,

CWC

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

That's a pretty stitch pattern.  If crocheted it looks like the stitch pattern something like a modified shell stitch in the back loops of the row below.  As in, I think I'm seeing 4 (US DC) stitches in the 'shell', but not all made into 1 stitch as a shell normally is.  Crocheting in my head, it might be something like: across 4 stitches of the below shell, *skip the first stitch of the shell, then 2 stitches into each of the middle 2 stitches of the shell below, skip the last stitch of the shell below, repeat.  Then some sort of increase or decrease scheme on the ends depending on whether you start at the tip or at the long edge.  Or, it's possible there's a row of SC between the shells, which would keep the shells-in-back-loop process all on one side of the fabric.  Also might be a chain between the shells.

I'm striking out finding a pattern exactly like that, here is a free one that is sort of similar (shells are not stacked on top of each other, they are offset but there is an 'outlining' of the shells going on like the one in your photo).

I didn't look at AntiquePatternLibrary.com, but if you have a day to kill (kidding, but there's just so much interesting things to look at) that site has tons of vintage patterns there if you are looking for something authentic to the period.  I've made a few things from 1840s patterns and have been surprised at how clever and innovative the designers were back then compared to modern patterns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the 'ville.  We love seeing photos and hearing about everyone's projects.  I hope you find what you are looking for.  It looks like Granny Square has pointed you in the right direction.  I hope you hang around and join in on the chatter in the cal's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much Granny Square, I really appreciate the help, and the link to AntiquePatternLibrary.com. I will probably kill a few days over there, you are right, there is just soooo much to look at.

We are going to give the shawl a try like you suggest, doing a modified shell stitch in the back loops of the row below and see how that goes.

thank you again,

CWC