Crochet Spare Tire Cover

Donna

When driving in the Wilmington, NC area a couple of days ago, I saw a crocheted spare tire cover on a car waiting at a light. I was so excited! I've never seen one of these in person. It wasn't a doily-based design, it was a granny circle. It had stretched and drooped due to gravity and the weather, I'm sure, but it was still pretty cool!

I didn't get a pic, but here's a link to crocheted tire cover images on Google: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=crochet+spare+tire+cover

And here's a few spare tire covers made by our very own Crochetville members:

• Like 1

Isn't it fun to come across crochet in unexpected places!

After the first one came apart, I made this one from a pattern in a crochet magazine. They definitely stretch and sag with the weather.

20180720_141002.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Vicki79 said:

do you happen to have the magizine so i can search for the pattern. my cousin would like me to make her one for her jeep. 

It's in the Crochet Today! magazine--July/August 2013. I've had a lot of comments about it, but I've been a little disappointed that the Red Heart yarn hasn't kept its bright colors. I guess a combination of sun, dirt and diesel smoke.

Vicki79--There are several photos on here, many I recognize as doily patterns that look familiar but I don't recall the names of.  

If you can't find the 2013 magazine for sale somewhere, Donna linked granny circle ideas in her first post, or look for a large-ish doily pattern.  I have never made a doily tire cover, but I made a faux-leather one ages ago (no pattern, was just a circle that I added fabric edge to for a hem/channel with a cord to tie it on, so you could pull tighter to fit).  So I imagine you could do the same with any doily pattern (instead if a channel, weave a tie-on cord at the doily edge.  Have cousin measure across her tire, and the width of the tire - circle should be bigger than the tire diameter + 2 tire widths, to cover the tire side and tread and enough distance over the back side so it doesn't fall off.  

Ages ago someone posted on here that a doily pattern with about 30 rounds would be baby blanket size if done in worsted weight to give you a rough idea, so maybe for a tire one with ~20-25 rounds...you could always stop short; I'd make the last round straight DC for sturdiness, it will be behind the tire.

3 hours ago, ReniC said:

Would very light weight macramé cord work for better stability?

Good chance it would. The first one I made was a doily pattern that I added on to and used a crochet nylon cord that I got at Walmart. I can't remember the brand now--Red Heart or Annie's?