Enumus

Stuck with directions

Question

Hi all,

I'm very new in crochet. My works are a winter hat I done following some YouTube video and now I'm trying to make a stuffed toy for my still unborn child.

I bought a beginner's kit because I liked the design of the result. The toy is a giraffe from hooked. It comes with the yarn, a wooden hook and the instructions. I managed to make the body and the ears, but I'm stuck with the nose please find attached the bit to make the nose.

My trouble is when it asks to turn the nose. If someone would be able to explain me, or show me somehow would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

15639070799124285599755538048706.jpg

2 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

Working in an oval is a bit mind-bending the first time you encounter it.  I'm guessing this pattern is in UK terms since toys are usually done in US SC=UK DC.

In general:  when you work into a chain, there are 3 practical ways to do it.

First method, the method I was taught and still use decades later: with the chain facing you, is to make stitches into the top loop.  This leaves 2 free/unused loop.

Second method: like above, except make stitches into/around the top loop and the back 'bump'.  This leaves 1 unused loop.

Third method: flipping the chain over, using the 'back bump'.  A lot of people like this because it leaves the part that looks like a chain unused, and shows as the bottom edge.  A lot of people will disagree, but I personally would not recommend this method to a beginner for 2 reasons: it pulls the chain tight and it is quite a bit 'fiddlier' to work.  One usually has to use a bigger hook for the chain, then switch to the right hook for the project.  

In any event, back to the oval -- all of these methods leave 1 or 2 loops of the chain unused.  To work in an oval (general recipe), you work across the chain as usual, make a bunch of stitches into the last chain which 'turns the corner', then you work on the underside of the chain into the unused loop(s) back to the beginning, and make a bunch of stitches to 'turn the corner' to meet the first stitch.  You are working in an oval shaped round.

Summary: 1 stitch (edited to add - 1 stitch per chain) along the 'straightaway' of the oval on the top side and also 1 stitch in the same chain on the underneath side, and a bunch of stitches at each end to turn the corner and round it off.

Your nose pattern is a very short oval, and is the same concept as I described above.  The 'straightaway' is only 1 stitch in your case.

Your pattern: ch 4.  2 dc in the second chain from the hook (this is part of 'a bunch of stitches at one end').  1 dc in the next chain (this is the straightaway).  4 dc into the last chain (this is the 'bunch of stitches in the last stitch to turn the corner).  Next, 1 stitch into the free loop or loops underneath the 'straightaway' stitch.  Then 2 dc into the free loop under the first chain that you stitched into (the one with the initial 2 dcs into 1 chain).  So your stitch count is 2+1+4 +1 +2, which is 10 dc.  I find it is a good idea to put a stitch marker into the first stitch of an oval round, to keep from getting lost, and moving the marker up each row into the new first stitch.  I like to use bobby pins/Kirby grips as they are cheaper than purchased markers and work well.

There are videos to show how to work in an oval, this might help you to see the concept.  Yours is a little unusual in that it is so very short.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 3

Hi,

I am following a UK pattern. Thank you for the help, I understood what I had to do and had it done. Thanks so much for the help.

• Like 1