HoneyComb Cowl Pattern questions

catwoman

Question

Hi. 😀 I having trouble with this pattern here on raverly https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-honeycomb---the-cowl-neckwarmer

I think it might have errors in the pattern itself. It says to repeat rounds 2-25 but i think it should be 10 to 25 .sm22.gif

I also had to rip back afew rounds because repeating the round 10 to 25 for 2 more time was way too much rounds.sm19.gif

By the picture of the cowl it should just be 5 rounds of cable but how does a person do the last round of cable before changing color so that it is like the picture? sm26.gif

What do you think i should do?

Edited by catwoman

3 answers to this question

I haven't really analyzed this, and have never done a honeycomb pattern but what caught my eye was that the row numbering started over.  Row 1-7 was ribbing, then row 8 changed color but continued with the ribbing stitch pattern, then the next row is row 1 again.  So the pattern is right saying repeat from the SECOND row 2 to 25 (and the second row 2 would be row 10 if it hadn't started renumbering)

The cable repeat is way more than 5 rounds.  Look at the middle photo on the pattern page hit the + button to blow up the pic and count the rows.  A repeat is really 2 rows of 'bubbles', because they are offset from each other.  A 15 row repeat looks about right.  BUT, I think I see what you mean, the repeat in the photo looks like 2.5 repeats, not 3.  There are 5 rows of bubbles, not 6.

I guess what I'd do to make it look like the photo is 'eyeball' it and stop in approximately the the same row, by that time the pattern is established you can see within a row or 2 where to stop to have it look the same as where the first row of bubbles meet the ribbing (but it will be offset).  The only other thing to watch for is when you start the final ribbing (and again this should be apparent) is that it matches up to the bubble outline.

Hi GrannySquare.I am still trying to make this cowl. I was kinda really confused about some of the stuff you have said.Could you maybe break it down for me abit more?

Also,how does a person count the rows and sts in this cable cowl? What is a 1 repeat of 1 cable?

Edited by catwoman

Sorry Catwoman, sorry I didn't see your post yesterday.  Repeating what I said in response to your PM, in case others were looking at this (knit) pattern.

Knit stitches look like a V, right?  In general, to count rows or rounds, find a V in from the edge a little of a flat piece, or use the first stitch in the round; what helps me to count is to use an empty needle to sort of stab the middle of the first v, and in each of the the v's in the column above it as I count (stab 1 stab 2 stab 3...).  Get your stitch markers out, this will help.

One thing about stitch markers, you have to remember what you are intending to mark - are they the beginning of the round, or the end?  Or something else?  Write it down if you need to.  In this case I'm suggesting to mark the first stitch of the repeat, as (I think) that makes sense for this pattern, and is easy to remember 

I'm assuming you've made it thru the ribbing which the pattern numbered as rows 1-8, and are stuck somewhere past that, correct?

The pattern starts renumbering with row 1 again after the ribbing.  This second row 1 is technically not part of the ribbing or the cable, it is a setup row to increase the # of stitches between ribbing and cable.

Find the yarn tail - this will be at the beginning.  (you should be able to tell where the first stitch of the round is is by the k2p2 rib pattern, and the tail position)

Count 8 rows of the ribbing, straight up from the first stitch as I described (stab stab) straight up from the tail. Now count next row which is the setup/increase row, now put a stitch marker into the next row- this is row 2 of the cable portion.

The pattern says that the repeat is rows 2 through row 25.  You have marked the beginning of row 2, so you don't need to count from the bottom any more, just count from the stitch marker from now on.

What I'd do, after completing the first repeat, is put another marker in the first stitch of the second repeat, and later, into the first stitch of the third.  This way, you don't have to keep counting from the VERY beginning if you get lost--you'd only have to count 24 rows max.

I commented the last time that the pattern photo appeared not to match what the pattern said to do.  The pattern said to repeat 2-25 two more times, so a total of 3, but the photo looked like a repeat of 2.5, more or less.  1 pattern should look like 2 rows of offset 'holes' between raised areas.  So 1 repeat would look like the following.

OXOXOX

XOXOXO

I hope this makes sense.  Good luck!