rosenzweigowa

Bobble stitch on two stitches

Question

Hi, I need help interpreting instructions for crocheting a hedgehog. In short, how do I make a bobble on two stitches?

In more details: the text is as follows:

Round 13: 3 ch, 3 tr, *bobble st on 2 stitches, 2tr*. Repeat *...* 4x, to get 5 bobbles.  Crochet 4 tr, work 2 st together, 3 tr, work 2 st togheter. [Round 12 was 35 double crochets.]

There is a hint on how to make a bobble, and I get that part. I know that sometimes "bobble" is used to describe different things, so just in case I will rewrite what they mean by bobble:

Crochet a double treble (dtr): *Wrap yarn 2 times around your hook, insert the hook, yarn over, and pull through. Yarn over and pull through.* You don't finish your dtr, but leave a loop onto your hook. Repeat *...* until you have 6 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through all loops. This is your bobble!

Please note: sometimes on the head you crochet your bobble onto 2 stitches instead of 1 stitch.

My question is: how would you all interpret the part about crocheting onto 2 stitches? On a single stitch, I would go 5 times through the same stitch to get a full bobble; should I just go 2 times through one stitch, and then 3 times through the next one? Or maybe each time I should pull a loop through 2 stitches? But then I would get 6 loops on my hook much faster... I'm confused. I tried to find some tutorials or instructions, but everyone make their bobbles on a single stitch. What do you think?

PS. They use UK terminology here, so treble crochet here is double crochet in USA terminology.

4 answers to this question

My best guess is to agree with your interpretation, it sounds to me that you'd be making a 'split legged' bobble, 2 partial dtrs into 1 stitch, 3 in the next, then join the 2 halves into 1 'top' at the end.  Can you see where that spot is on the pattern photo?  Sometimes that photo can settle a lot of questions....

Thank you for answer!

Unfortunately I can't tell from the photo what it should be. I'm trying to make this little guy:

https://www.hoooked.co.uk/images/public/productlarge/pak134-hedgehog-hazel-2-resized(0).jpg

And the bobbles should be his spikes. But I can't see how exactly are they made.

I guess I will try this method with split legged bobble, and I will see how it turns out :) Hopefully once I make couple of them it will be more clear if it looks like on the photo. Thanks again!

He's adorable!  I can't quite tell by the photo either.

I think I read your post too fast the first time, and overlooked that the prior row had a stitch count.  This would be another test, if you make the bobbles the wrong way you'd either have 5 stitches left over or be short 5 stitches to finish.

...OK, I was curious and plotted it out, which by the way is a good way to solve problems like this.  See below, the first row of x's is 35 UK DC, then the next row is the one in question - trebles are |, 2 stitches together are /\, bobbles are /\ with more legs.

scan0026.jpg

• Thanks 1

You're right, thank you :) I did one round now with this method and it seems right so far.

Funny, when in doubt I try to count the stitches and figure out what I should do basing on that, but it is easy to lose count; I never thought about plotting it out, that's a simple but very useful idea, thanks :)