Posted (edited)

As some of you know, I have recently been widowed. I've had a very tough go of it and I know it will stay raw for quite some time yet to come. I do have to say, cancer is an evil monster and my husband was the bravest person I've ever known for how hard he fought and what he went through.

On a lighter note, I started this afghan about a month before my husband died, but, set it aside after only 2 rows into it. I picked it up again about a week ago and started creating a few rows a day. I'm looking forward to completing it and putting it on one of my sofas. I have no clue yet what border I will add. Which one to make doesn't usually materialize in my feeble brain until I am almost done with the main body. We shall see.

For anyone interested, it's the Crystal Wave stitch with RHSS-Ombre-True Blue and a J/ hook. I'm sure it will soften up nicely once I wash and block it.

So, what's on your hook?

ETA: Sorry about all the separate replies. I don't remember how to put multiple quotes in one reply. I call it mushy-brain. Or CRS!

ETA 2: Don't know what happened to the photo. Adding again:

Crystal Wave-RHSS- Ombre Blue 2.jpg

Edited by ReniC

:hug Hugs, Reni.

That is an interesting stitch pattern, it looks nice and warm.  I'm not sure what border I'd use either, maybe just a few rounds of SC ending in RSC to set off/feature the main pattern.

I'm resting my fingers at the moment after a couple of large doilies, one you can see in the help section under the 'pinwheel doily' thread where I decided to crochet along,and the other was this pattern, which was easy but had an unusual twist (working in multiple directions on 2 rounds).

Reni, please accept my most sincere condolences on your loss.  What a difficult time you're in.  xx

Thanks for sharing that link to the Crystal Wave pattern; I have since subscribed to that channel.  Such a pretty stitch, and I look forward to seeing your blanket when you're done if you share a photo of it.  :) 

Still working on my son's ripple blanket.  It'll never get finished if I don't put a little more effort into it, but it is, you know, summer.  😓 My crocheting always drops off in the heat.   

:hug I am glad you have started to crochet again.  Thats a really pretty pattern.  I may have to get my pencil and paper out and write it out.  I work better with written instructions.  I am working on ministockings for Warmth For Warriors and have a  lapghan/ babyghan started using this pattern

https://m.lionbrand.com/item/313435353231

I may have to try that one. It's a really pretty stitch pattern. I'm weaving in the ends and about to join the squares of two Bernat Pop Petals blankets. It uses the mattress stitch to join the four squares, which I've never used before. But it doesn't look hard, just a matter of setting my mind to doing it. Also down to making the car and truck appliques on a Mary Maxim cars blanket.

22 hours ago, Granny Square said:

:hug Hugs, Reni.

That is an interesting stitch pattern, it looks nice and warm.  I'm not sure what border I'd use either, maybe just a few rounds of SC ending in RSC to set off/feature the main pattern.

I'm resting my fingers at the moment after a couple of large doilies, one you can see in the help section under the 'pinwheel doily' thread where I decided to crochet along,and the other was this pattern, which was easy but had an unusual twist (working in multiple directions on 2 rounds).

The pattern by Olga is very pretty. I haven't made a doily in quite awhile. Now I'm wondering if I should put the pattern on my Bucket List- I do love a challenge. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, smskutt said:

Reni, please accept my most sincere condolences on your loss.  What a difficult time you're in.  xx

Thanks for sharing that link to the Crystal Wave pattern; I have since subscribed to that channel.  Such a pretty stitch, and I look forward to seeing your blanket when you're done if you share a photo of it.  :) 

Still working on my son's ripple blanket.  It'll never get finished if I don't put a little more effort into it, but it is, you know, summer.  😓 My crocheting always drops off in the heat.   

Thank you Shani. It's a road I'm on that I had no clue would be so difficult. I have a great supporting family that keeps me busy.

You're welcome for the pattern link. You'll be surprised how easy it is to crochet. It is a yarn-hog though. I too have a difficult time with the heat here, but, fortunately, I have a ceiling fan right above me which takes care of that. I look forward to seeing you completed Ripple.

Edited by ReniC

20 hours ago, bgs said:

:hug I am glad you have started to crochet again.  Thats a really pretty pattern.  I may have to get my pencil and paper out and write it out.  I work better with written instructions.  I am working on ministockings for Warmth For Warriors and have a  lapghan/ babyghan started using this pattern

https://m.lionbrand.com/item/313435353231

Hi! I wrote out the pattern too as I like to have it close by instead of watching a video every time I need help. Can we post the written pattern or is that infringing on copyright? I'm not sure.

BTW: I believe I have made that blanket in your link. If I remember, it was pretty fast crocheting.

I think the color really "makes" the Olga one; aside from those 2 back-and-forth rounds the pattern is sort of repetitive (which is not a bad thing, sometimes you just want to zone out) but I think it would be OK but a bit drab without the color changes.   I literally have a pile of doilies in my closet that get rotated every so often, this is my current favorite.

17 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I may have to try that one. It's a really pretty stitch pattern. I'm weaving in the ends and about to join the squares of two Bernat Pop Petals blankets. It uses the mattress stitch to join the four squares, which I've never used before. But it doesn't look hard, just a matter of setting my mind to doing it. Also down to making the car and truck appliques on a Mary Maxim cars blanket.

Hi Mona. Wow you have been busy. The Pop Petals blanket is interesting and so many different color patterns that it can be done in.

17 minutes ago, ReniC said:

Thank you Shani. It's a road I'm on that I had no clue would be so difficult. I have a great supporting family that keeps me busy.

You're welcome for the pattern link. You'll be surprised how easy it is to crochet. It is a yarn-hog though. I too have a difficult time with the heat here, but, fortunately, I have a ceiling fan right above me which takes care of that. I look forward to seeing you completed Ripple.

I would have guessed that stitch was a yarn hog.  It reminded me strongly of C2C, and that's a yarn hog, too.  And that makes two of us, looking forward to seeing the completed Ripple, lol.  Stay cool!

I don't think anyone knows how difficult that journey is going to be until they're forced on it.  My mom has been walking it since May of last year when my dad died suddenly and unexpectedly.  We've talked about it quite a bit and have discussed that well-meaning phrase, "just give it time and things will get back to normal."  There is no normal, not ever again.  A new normal can be created, but that will take a lot of time.  From my perspective, my mom is just now beginning to come out of the shock and feel his absence, but her prolonged shock is due to the double loss (traumatic horror) we suffered when my brother (and only sibling) died suddenly 15 weeks after my dad.  My mom has stated repeatedly that she has no intention of "getting over it" (another well-meaning but insane phrase), but that her only goal is to find a way to come up alongside the crushing losses and walk peacefully next to them.  It is, in my opinion, the only sane option in any loss.  I'm so glad you have your family's support.  x

14 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I think the color really "makes" the Olga one; aside from those 2 back-and-forth rounds the pattern is sort of repetitive (which is not a bad thing, sometimes you just want to zone out) but I think it would be OK but a bit drab without the color changes.   I literally have a pile of doilies in my closet that get rotated every so often, this is my current favorite.

Hi Granny Square. I too have a drawer full of doilies and use them throughout the house. They can call me old fashioned all they want- I love them. The Crystal Wave isn't too bad since it's a 5-st repetition: FPsc, ch 3, 3 dc. I'm enjoying it anyway. 😎

2 minutes ago, smskutt said:

I would have guessed that stitch was a yarn hog.  It reminded me strongly of C2C, and that's a yarn hog, too.  And that makes two of us, looking forward to seeing the completed Ripple, lol.  Stay cool!

I don't think anyone knows how difficult that journey is going to be until they're forced on it.  My mom has been walking it since May of last year when my dad died suddenly and unexpectedly.  We've talked about it quite a bit and have discussed that well-meaning phrase, "just give it time and things will get back to normal."  There is no normal, not ever again.  A new normal can be created, but that will take a lot of time.  From my perspective, my mom is just now beginning to come out of the shock and feel his absence, but her prolonged shock is due to the double loss (traumatic horror) we suffered when my brother (and only sibling) died suddenly 15 weeks after my dad.  My mom has stated repeatedly that she has no intention of "getting over it" (another well-meaning but insane phrase), but that her only goal is to find a way to come up alongside the crushing losses and walk peacefully next to them.  It is, in my opinion, the only sane option in any loss.  I'm so glad you have your family's support.  x

I'm so sorry for yours and your mother's loss. Over the past 10 years I've had many family members die (huge family) and I've coped immensely well. But, this time, I got punched unbelievably hard. And I thought I was prepared- Hah! I comfort in knowing, with my kids and grandkids, God, crochet and painting, eventually I'll be ok. My SIL phrased it as "A new journey in life". My BIL died almost 10 years ago and she still hasn't reconciled with her loss. She crochets too, but, doesn't get the same satisfaction and distraction from it that I do. So sad for her.

Posted (edited)

Reni I believe posting the written pattern would violate copyright.

A couple of years ago I started doing some research on loss as I was having problems.  You never ever get over it but somehow manage to get through it.  Your life has been altered and will never be normal as you knew it but you will have a different normal.   This statement helped explain why this time the hurt seemed so much worse, "It is said that grief is the final gift of love given from one to another and the depth of that grief is a measure of the strength of the love between the bond."

Edited by bgs

2 hours ago, ReniC said:

I'm so sorry for yours and your mother's loss. Over the past 10 years I've had many family members die (huge family) and I've coped immensely well. But, this time, I got punched unbelievably hard. And I thought I was prepared- Hah! I comfort in knowing, with my kids and grandkids, God, crochet and painting, eventually I'll be ok. My SIL phrased it as "A new journey in life". My BIL died almost 10 years ago and she still hasn't reconciled with her loss. She crochets too, but, doesn't get the same satisfaction and distraction from it that I do. So sad for her.

Thanks, Reni.  We both have good weeks and bad weeks, and I expect it will continue for quite some time.  As my mom and I have said, though, great sorrow can only come from great love, so how lucky were we?  You sound determined to grieve and process through it.  Some people, such as your SIL and my grandmother, choose not to do that.  I tell my mom every day we get up and move forward, it's a choice.  My brother wanted us to live, not dwell, and we would do his and my dad's memories dishonor if we did anything less than that.  And the world keeps on spinning. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as we choose to move forward through each day. x

On 7/8/2019 at 10:31 AM, smskutt said:

There is no "normal" now. It's all new and I wholeheartedly feel the same about acceptance. Between that and my grown children, I think it's 2 of the few things keeping me balanced. 

On a Crochet Note: I just looked at some afghan photos on Pinterest made with 4 weight yarn, Eyelash yarn, Sashay yarn and a Q hook. They're frilly, but, I think some are pretty. I call them Fluffy, 😄

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, bgs said:

Reni I believe posting the written pattern would violate copyright.

A couple of years ago I started doing some research on loss as I was having problems.  You never ever get over it but somehow manage to get through it.  Your life has been altered and will never be normal as you knew it but you will have a different normal.   This statement helped explain why this time the hurt seemed so much worse, "It is said that grief is the final gift of love given from one to another and the depth of that grief is a measure of the strength of the love between the bond." 

Hi Brenda! No written pattern then.

Thank you for the quote.  It is beautiful. Guess that's why my grief runs so deep. But, as I've said, now my kids are my rocks and I'm so blessed for that. Another great worry has been the unknown of my finances. I just found out some of it has been clarified and I can still buy all the yarn I want! LOL

Edited by ReniC

Reni I loved that quote when I found it.  I had never heard it explained so well.

Glad you can still buy yarn!  

18 hours ago, ReniC said:

There is no "normal" now. It's all new and I wholeheartedly feel the same about acceptance. Between that and my grown children, I think it's 2 of the few things keeping me balanced. 

On a Crochet Note: I just looked at some afghan photos on Pinterest made with 4 weight yarn, Eyelash yarn, Sashay yarn and a Q hook. They're frilly, but, I think some are pretty. I call them Fluffy, 😄

Reni, your post needs to come with a warning.  I just clicked on the link you provided and fell down the rabbit hole on pinterest for the last half an hour, lol!  Now I have new knit patterns I'm mulling over....  :) 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, smskutt said:

Reni, your post needs to come with a warning.  I just clicked on the link you provided and fell down the rabbit hole on pinterest for the last half an hour, lol!  Now I have new knit patterns I'm mulling over....  :) 

Hahahaha! And only half an hour? As my great-Grandmother used to say in the 1950's, "That'll learn ya' ". Thanks for the chuckle.

ETA: Don't know what happened to my photo in my original post, so I downloaded it again.

Edited by ReniC

13 minutes ago, ReniC said:

Hahahaha! And only half an hour? As my great-Grandmother used to say in the 1950's, "That'll learn ya' ". Thanks for the chuckle.

ETA: Don't know what happened to my photo in my original post, so I downloaded it again.

I know, half an hour is nothing, right??  :)  

My dad lost my mom to cancer in April after 58 years. He says he feels like he has been cut in half. I cannot imagine. I have been married 23 years so far. 

She also had cancer, when she got the diagnosis in January, it was already too late to attempt any treatments. She never had any pain whatsoever, even though it was spread throughout her body and in her bones, she never needed so much as a tylenol, and passed peacefully in her sleep April 6th. I attribute it to a miracle because I have never heard of such a thing. 

May the Lord comfort and strengthen you during this very difficult time in your life. 

The afghan will be beautiful.

12 minutes ago, richsgirl said:

My dad lost my mom to cancer in April after 58 years. He says he feels like he has been cut in half. I cannot imagine. I have been married 23 years so far. 

She also had cancer, when she got the diagnosis in January, it was already too late to attempt any treatments. She never had any pain whatsoever, even though it was spread throughout her body and in her bones, she never needed so much as a tylenol, and passed peacefully in her sleep April 6th. I attribute it to a miracle because I have never heard of such a thing. 

May the Lord comfort and strengthen you during this very difficult time in your life. 

The afghan will be beautiful.

Thank you Courtney for the kind, encouraging words. I'm sorry for your loss too. I know how difficult it is to loose parents. 58 years sounds like a long time but, in reality, it's a drop in the bucket of time. Mine was 36+ years and every minute was worth it to both of us. Thank you for the compliment on the afghan. 🙂

Posted (edited)

Reni I love your afghan.  Your photo wasnt there at first so I only saw pattern in link.

richsgirl sorry about your mom.  When my mom passed what hurt the most was seeing how bad my dad hurt.  Lost them both to cancer.  Dads spread to bone and was in such pain in spite of high doses of heavy duty pain medicine.  

Edited by bgs

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Reni I love your afghan.  Your photo wasnt there at first so I only saw pattern in link.

richsgirl sorry about your mom.  When my mom passed what hurt the most was seeing how bad my dad hurt.  Lost them both to cancer.  Dads spread to bone and was in such pain in spite of high doses of heavy duty pain medicine.  

Hi Brenda- Glad you like the afghan. I'm enjoying working on it. Keeps me occupied in the evening while binge-watching Convenience Kim on Netflix. Too bad there wasn't a sit-com about us crazy crochet people. That would be a hoot!

Hope all are having a wonderful day.