Jabaso

Confused with directions

Question

I have a pattern with directions I don’t understand. Here is an example:

Round 2:   2sc, sc in each of the next 7 sts, *2sc* 3 times, sc in each of next 7sts, *2sc*in each of the last 2 sts.

I’m confused with the 2sc, sc in each of the next 7 sts. Does that mean that I’m going to do 3 stitches in each of the next 7 stitches? If so, then why doesn’t it just say to do 3 sc in next 7 stitches?  Or, do I do 2sc in one stitch, and one sc in the next stitch, and continue that for 7 stitches?

1 answer to this question

I would interpret this as what I've added in bold:

2sc (2 sc into the next 1 stitch), sc in each of the next 7 sts, *2sc* 3 times (2 sc in each of the next 3 stitches), sc in each of next 7sts, *2sc*in each of the last 2 sts.  (interesting the designer wrote the last 2 steps in the manner of my bold comments)

Also, the asterisks as used in *2sc* don't have a meaning in US standard crochet terms, I guess they are just for decoration  :think There is a specific meaning for 2 asterisks together ** meaning a place marker in a multi-stitch repeat where something different happens in a later repeat (usually to end a row) but it doesn't look like that is what was meant.